1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baker out

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DyePack, Oct 2, 2006.

1. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

How many managers is this for Hendry now? I thought he said once upon a timee that it had to work out with Baker or he'd be gone too. or am I thinking Jerry angelo and Lovie Davis of the Bears. Too many frustrating teams to keep track of damnit. At least the Bears finally appear legit.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Three, soon to be four. Don Baylor, Bruce Kimm and Johnny B. Baker.

3. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Can Prior and Wood just take the entire next season off to avoid reading stories about them going on and coming off the DL only to go back after one start?

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

And ruin Prior's sterling record in simulated games?

I think not...

5. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Things won't change with the Cubs until either:

a) the Tribune Company sells the team to an owner who is committed to winning on the field and not just racking up profits off of it

b) "fans" stop packing Wrigley Field game in and game out to see crappy teams. If the Tribsters can sell out Wrigley with a horrible on-field product, what incentive do they have to change the way they do things?

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Any word on whether or not Larry Rothschild will be back?

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Baker's the only manager Hendry actually hired. Baylor was hired by MacPhail and fired by MacPhail before he gave Hendry the keys to the car. Kimm was the interim who finished out 2002.

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Yeah, I thought about that after I posted it. I couldn't remember when Hendry actually took over.

9. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I read on the Sun-Times this afternoon immediately after the presser that Rothschild is expected back.

My question of the night: why????????

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

nice

11. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

yeah, this sounds logical after his pirates tenure. from nwi times:

CHICAGO | When he first became the Pittsburgh Pirates' hitting coach in 1997, Lloyd McClendon said his dream job was managing the Cubs, the team for which he grew up rooting in Gary and later played.

Now with Dusty Baker officially gone, McClendon has the first logical chance to apply for the position since he was hired as the Pirates' manager late in 2000.

McClendon, 48, a Chesterton resident, has not shown up on the radar of the better-known managerial possibilities such as Joe Girardi, Lou Piniella, Bob Brenly and Fredi Gonzalez. None of these names appear to be a clear-cut favorite.

But if Cubs general manager Jim Hendry, known to have a good opinion of him, were to invite McClendon for an interview, he'd likely get an enthusiastic "yes" as a response.

12. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Baker is a good person and likeable. But in terms of sports and of baseball team leadership, he's underachieved aside from the one big Bartman-influenced season.
    That was the only season that's really memorable to me. All the others have been over-hyped early and fizzled out late.
    One day they will be winners, but Dusty's legacy will be one of underachieving squads.
    Injuries, bad breaks - however you slice it ..
    He didn't win consistently enough to be kept around.

Draft saved Draft deleted