1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bailout/rescue 2.0 passes both houses; Bush signs it. They hurry if they have to

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I don't like this one bit.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I have come to terms with my begrudging conclusion that not passing the bill would be far worse.

3. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Almost immediately, all the pundits began talking up high unemployment figures, predicting more bad times ahead and that this megabillion bailout really doesn't do anything for the economy per se, only Wall Street.

Granted, only idiots believed this was going to turn the economy around, but the spin on the damn thing was being painted slightly differently before its passage.

4. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

And just watch the line begin building for bailouts. I think I see Gov. Terminator getting out of his limo right now....

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The Terminator -- too stupid for Broadway.

6. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Re: Bailout/rescue 2.0 passes both houses; Bush signs it. They hurry if they hav

Here's hoping that the fine voters in the 4th District of Louisiana pitch a shutout if Mr. McCrery runs for re-election. He's an embarrassment.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And yet, pork R us will continue....

8. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, I believe you are 100 percent correct.

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

A million more people on food stamps of late.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Re: Bailout/rescue 2.0 passes both houses; Bush signs it. They hurry if they hav

The legislative process is seldom edifying. It ain't Schoolhouse. The Senate stuck all those tax dodges onto a previous bill the House had yet to reconcile in conference. To be allowed to vote first on a money bill, Reid had to attach the bailout to said bill. Once Obama and McCain voted for it, enough members of their own party had to follow suit in the House to pass it.
    Legislatively speaking, this wasn't a bailout with pork attached. It was the other way around. Doesn't make it right, but that's how it happened.
    Don't worry. Major economic crisis legislation 2.0 will be in play in January. A President Obama MIGHT (though I doubt it), pull together a compromise that could pass. President McCain, no way. His own party will cut his balls off.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

This is why I don't understand why some people are so up in arms about THIS bill having earmarks. The bailout bill doesn't have earmarks -- it is what it is.

But it's a procedural necessity to allow the legislature to vote on it that brings them together. It's just sausage-making, that's all.

12. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

If you took $700 billion and divided it among every living American, each person would get more than $2,000. That would probably do more for the economy (whether its paying for debt or infused into the economy) than this bill will.

Draft saved Draft deleted