1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bailout/rescue 2.0 passes both houses; Bush signs it. They hurry if they have to

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Re: Bailout/rescue 2.0 passes Senate, heads to HoR

Did Tom Carper really not vote?

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

He must have voted, because they got to 99 and I know Kennedy didn't vote.

I don't want to do the math, though.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Senate threw in a lot of earmarks as amendments: AMT fix, mental health funding, FDIC increase in deposit insurance, tax breaks a-go-go, etc. That's lots of poison in that pill for House Republicans to swallow.

But maybe that's the idea.

4. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Really? Did you listen to Reid and McConnell afterward? If I'd had a gun in my hand I would have blown the TV into a gazillion pieces.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

The Senate put all that in to entice some House GOPers. But it's also pissed off some Blue Dogs. I wonder how many Blue Dogs voted for the bill the first time but won't this time. Some of that stuff is in a tax relief bill from the Senate that the House has already said is no good.

6. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

This is why I hate Congress. Earmarks. Should be illegal. Each bill should have a single question. And the final numbers clarify why Republican does not equal conservative.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Nope, I was just going by the vote.

No idea if this was a good bill or a bad bill. Merely pointing out that the Senate seemed able to vote on it without the sturm and drang surrounding providing cover for anyone in a tough race.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Yep, the house is burning down, and instead of just appropriating enough money to put out the fire they also buy everyone else in the neighborhood a new car as well, and give the richest neighbors a tax break.

9. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Another web search revealed that Imhofe (OK) who is up for re-election, voted against it.

10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, I talked to a home builder yesterday who was firmly against a bailout, saying the original bad mortgages would be worked out by the market, and that he didn't want the people who precipitated the economic mess in the first place spending all that money on a solution.

11. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

The biggest problem with this market is that so much of the assets are controlled by people not of this country. If the cash flow is self-contained, the wealth is still there and even when we've got insanely-wealthy and irresponsible people up at the top, when it's self-contained, it has to rely on people at the end of the chain to purchase the goods to keep it going.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Well then he's got nothing to worry about because those same people won't be spending the money on a solution. They'll be spending it on pizza ovens for their mansions.

Draft saved Draft deleted