1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bailout Fails to Pass House, Dow Tumbles

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Lugnuts, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Shhh, the time for logic has passed. Now is time for partisan bickering and finger-pointing.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Republicans need to hope Dems don't do this all by themselves and have it appear to work.

3. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

The purpose of the negotiations was to ensure that enough House Republicans voted for it. If Pelosi/Hoyer/Frank, et al, wanted to get a bill across, they could have written a bill that would have passed on a party line vote. But they wanted the House GOP in so the Dems wouldn't take all of the political heat if the bill was unpopular. The House GOP hated the bill. Boehner called it a crap sandwich. But they came around to the idea that it was the best of a bad situation and supported it and urged their members to do. Boehner, Cantor, Blunt, Ryan -- the top GOP House members all voted for it. The political cover was there. So when the Dems held the presser with Paulson, they made it seem like a fait accompli. Which only makes the failure to pass more devastating to the markets. Pelosi needed to temper her remarks to re-emphasize that this was a bi-partisan solution and needed to have control of the caucus. She needed to be a female LBJ behind the scenes.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Barney Frank looking great at his press conference.

Damn.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Yeah, that was a pimp-slap.

6. Inky_Wretch

-628 now.

7. Grimace

Grimace Guest

But Pelosi's speech was kinda mean, so it's OK.

8. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Just amazing. I'd like to know, having read Pelosi's speech, what they found so objectionable.

9. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Down 707 now. It's times like this I'm glad to not have much money to invest.

10. Inky_Wretch

I get the feeling they saw a chance to torpedo the Democrats. The nation be damned.

11. The Granny

The Granny Guest

Someone PM me when it's time to start rioting for bread.

The Granny is ready to bring the fucking house.

12. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I would hope Paulson and Bernanke are busy crafting a Plan B. Or maybe they're out doing what a good politician does in time of crisis: play golf.

Draft saved Draft deleted