1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baffling sequels

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Batman, Jan 31, 2015.

1. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Sat thru Blart 2 last week (family movie night -- kid's choice). Awful beyond words. Never saw the original. But movies like that make money. Both Blarts made more than 100M in the theatres on 30M budgets.

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

The Whole Ten Yards -- a sequel to a mediocre movie with an expensive cast and modest box office success.

3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

They are making a new Ghosbusters with a female cast to reboot the series. Ghostbusters was one of those fun movies that is very quotable, great to watch on cable and things that kids and adults can enjoy.
    Ghostbusters 2 was one of these movies you get at Walmart for $5 that is packaged with Scrooged and Garfield 2. There is a reason why a third movie wasn't made while Harold Ramis was alive. Why, why did some studio think this was going to be a good idea?

Hey, we haven't had Melissa McCarthy in something since last Thursday, we need her in another movie! Let's get her, some SNL rejects alumni and reboot Ghostbusters! It will be great, we can slime Melissa McCarthy, she can make some wise cracks and we'll make millions! What can possibly go wrong?

4. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I enjoyed "The Whole Nine Yards," and will check it out if it shows up on basic cable, but I agree that we weren't exactly begging for a sequel.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The children who loved the original are now in their 30s and 40s with children of their own, and they will bring their children to see the new one in droves.
    As they did with Transformers and GI Joe.
    That new Ghostbusters movie will be huge.

6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's going to be next year's Jurassic World, but damn, I don't see how it won't blow goats.
    The nostalgia draw will be huge and Melissa McCarthy makes money (I personally think she's over rated), but I'm not holding my breath that it's going to be good.

7. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

8. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

It's been said that studio execs all know that they're eventually going to be sacked. The trick is stay in the job long enough so they're able to set themselves somewhere nice afterwards, maybe get their own production company.

Thus, the goal is to keep making the safe choices, ones that look good on paper and/or worked in the past. Ghostbusters made a ton of money. Melissa McCarthy has made a ton of money. So, voila. A new Ghostbusters flick with Melissa McCarthy.

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

In that case ... Ghostbuster Vegas Vacation!
    Bill Murray and Chevy Chase could have a slapfight.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

It's currently playing here.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I understand the safe play for studio execs. Makes perfect sense.
    And I really think that the new Ghostbuster will be 1. terrible and B. wildly successful.

The thing I find to understand though is the blockbuster approach in general because the budgets involved.
    The new Ghostbusters has $150 million budget.
    Nobody goes broke banking on the stupidity of the general audience, but that's a big investment.

12. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Yeah, but if you're going to offer up ghosts in the era of Pixar and CGI, you're going to have to do something a whole order bigger than the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man.

Draft saved Draft deleted