1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baffling sequels

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Batman, Jan 31, 2015.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

One of those things is not like the others. Temple of Doom was just okay and Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was awful, but The Last Crusade was very good as sequels go.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I've never thought much of 'The Last Crusade.'
    It is better than 'Kingdom of the Crystal Skull,' but that is damning with faint praise.

3. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I thought that the original question was not about sequels so bad you wish they hadn't been made, but sequels where the original was so unsuccessful that you wonder why they would have made it at all.

sgreenwell and bigpern23 like this.
  4. doctorx

doctorx Member

One of the most embarrassing ads ever to appear in my paper was one that advised moviegoers 'Ernest Scared Stupid' had been held over.

5. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Revenge of the Sith was good, but will agree with you on the other two.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I saw a commercial yesterday for "The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel."

What the fuck?

8. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Some of these were obvious sequels made from successful movies that just stunk. Others were head-scratching sequels made from crappy/mediocre movies that didn't seem to do well.

Here was the strategy of Elvis' manager, Col. Tom Parker, on why Elvis made so many cheap, crappy movies (even though Elvis had dreams of being in big-budget, well-received movies).

The Colonel knew that if they spent well under $1 million on a film they would always make money. So he thought it was stupid to spend more than that and possibly lose money. He could give a crap about the quality.

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Star Trek (2009) was tolerable as far as reboots go.

Star Trek Into Darkness had some of the laziest writing I've seen in years. I'm normally not that great at predicting plot twists, but I knew exactly what would happen at some point during a scene in sickbay.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

There's nothing baffling about why they made the movie, though.

12. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

i once heard roger ebert remark that hollywood shouldn't remake good movies, they should remake the bad ones. his logic: the good ones captured some special chemistry that can be difficult to replicate, which in most bad movies you can see the seed of a good idea that was ruined through poor execution. so you take the bad movie and fix it. rather than take a good movie and ruin it.]

the logic would never appeal to a business person who is just looking to capitalize on a brand name, but from an artistic angle it makes sense

expendable, bigpern23 and sgreenwell like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted