1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baffling sequels

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Batman, Jan 31, 2015.

1. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Son of the Mask! Dumb and Dumber(er)

2. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

The original became a cult classic on cable due to the popularity of "On the Dark Side". Which is likely one of the reasons the sequel was made.
    There were a couple of other good songs from the soundtrack - "Tender Years" - to name one.

3. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

The original Police Academy was kinda funny. Police Academy 2-6+ were just worthless retreads of the original that had no business being made.

The original Revenge of the Nerds was funny. The sequels not so funny.

Tron: Legacy -- Why put out a sequel 28 years after the original comes out?

Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps -- This story continuing the Gordon Gekko saga didn't need to be made - especially 23 years after the original came out.

Blues Brothers 2000 - Some great musical numbers, but John Goodman replacing John Belushi, no excuse to make this shlock.

On a separate note, a movie sequel I'm still waiting on, based on the trailer at the end of the original is History of the World Part 2.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I don't doubt both movies have their merits and their fans. It just baffled me that a few years after the first one was little more than a modest cable hit, somebody in a position to make such things happen actually said, "You know what we should do? Eddie and the Cruisers TWO! It'll make a killing!"
    Kind of like The Fugitive and U.S. Marshals that I cited in the OP. I like U.S. Marshals, it's an enjoyable movie, but I'm not sure anyone was chomping at the bit for the further adventures of Sam Gerard.

5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

A lot of movies catch on after they hit home video or cable and the sequels make a lot more money than the original. The Austin Powers movies were like that.

The original Eddie and the Cruisers was made for $6 million and made most of that back at the box office plus a lot more from soundtrack albums. Making another one with a low budget was a relatively low risk venture.

6. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Wild Geese II - the first one was a classic with Richard Burton, Richard Harris and Roger Moore. The second one with Edward Fox was a bomb.

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

As Rolling Stone said in its review of this bomb: "Would you watch 'Jaws' without the shark?"

Slap Shot II and III are abominations and should be napalmed.

8. casty33

casty33 Active Member

I know some people like it but Godfather III is pretty awful. Godfather II is good and the original is outstanding but III shoul have never been made in my humble opinion.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Coppola actually went to some effort to foreshadow/ set up the foundation for GF III by developing growing distrust and possible conflict between Michael Corleone and Tom Hagen late in the storyline of GF II, but then let that all go to waste when Robert Duvall was not re-signed for the role of Hagen.

10. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Weekend at Bernies II.

11. I've been told other Highlander were made.

And Return to Oz.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Both good calls. Sadly for me, I've seen the other Highlander movies. The level of awful tended to vary, but the last one was so bad that I've spent a great deal of time trying to block it out.

Draft saved Draft deleted