1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Badmouth coach to media, get BP fastballs at your head

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Obviously awful on the part of the coach, but who was the reporter who printed quotes that were off the record? I'd be pretty pissed if that were me.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So were her initial quotes actually used? I thought the story said the coach heard about them right away. So I assumed someone overheard and told the coach.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
  3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Which indicates neither the player or the reporter has any idea what "off the record" means.

But it still seems pretty curious as to why any "reporter" would come in bulldogging for OTR responses from a nothing burger last place softball game.

4. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

For the record, the column previously mentioned was on like an MSU Rivals site or something like it and had nothing to do with the recent revelations.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I don't believe they were printed. Someone overheard the conversation and Big Brothered it back to the coach.

This looks indisputably bad. Senior Day, and she gets hit? 99.5% into her career, when batting practice would even be the point of the day?

20 years from now, the amount of abuse that college coaches have heaped upon athletes...we'll chuckle at how quaint we thought it was.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Agree with Alma. In most college sports, the players aren't going onto the pros or Olympics and few players are on full scholarships. But many coaches micromanage the athletes, berate them, get involved in their personal lives, put the sport over class, etc.

To me, sports should be a fun, learning, growing, bonding experience. A big problem is that virtually all head coaches in the power conferences make six figures plus and it goes to their head or they feel pressure.

7. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

How have we not "6"d the player yet.

Sheesh people, have some damn decorum here!

Vombatus likes this.
  8. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Will 5.5 do?

9. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Interesting connections all over the place in that story. The player is the stepdaughter of Mike Gillette, kicker for the Michigan football (and catcher for the UM baseball team) in the late 80s. And the assistant coach who allegedly threw at her is married to former Sparty basketball scrub Tim Bograkos.

10. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

George O'Leary is wondering what the fuss is about.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

So is Bobby Knight.

12. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Tell him to update his resume there will be an opening soon.

Draft saved Draft deleted