1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bad writing of 2014

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I know from SJ that there was a time that Jeff was known to be thin skinned but what's the deal
    with Chris Jones? Is he known to be a red ass that's an easy mark to provoke?

2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

You write ONE TIME about being bummed you didn't win ANOTHER huge award ...

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I really don't get provoking Chris Jones based on the Cruz piece. Pearlman? Yes. Wrong time to pull out the "everybody has flaws" card.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Meyer whooped ass last night.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Because there's no way that piece is getting posted on Deadspin without a Chris Jones story included.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Ah.

Deadspin's just too transparent for me anymore. The Gen X/millennial postmodernist BS worms its way into almost everything on the site. It used to be surprising. It's not anymore. It's still very good at times, but no longer surprising.

7. Dick Whitman

I do like the commentary on the, "You Will Weep and Know Why" piece, and think it's probably pretty close to the truth. It was written in first-person, confessional tone, it went on forever, and it romanticized Southern high school football. I swear there is a 10 percent chance it was written for no other reason than to troll the longform community.

In fact, someone should write something like that, plug in "April Fool's" at the end - or, hell, 15 inches in - and sit back and watch Twitter slobber over it anyway.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Only Cameron Crowe's Elizabethtown surpassed it.

9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Pearlman is complaining about it on Facebook and has already written a response.

Outside of trying to stir up a feud how does a celebrity profile of an actress for a general interest men's magazine qualify as sportswriting?

And, as always, Deadspin shows the mark of true professionalism by not calling out any of their own flawed work. That piece on the Senate candidate was very bad. Deadspin, then, said as much when they wrote a 1,000 plus word correction/apology but nowhere to be seen

10. Dick Whitman

Deadspin's "correction" on that story was 100 times worse than the infamous Rolling Stone blame-the-source correction.

11. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

SHWEWWW...For a minute I thought this thread was all about me.

12. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

I should read all these since im a bad writer ha, what makes someone a good or a bad writer?

Draft saved Draft deleted