1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bad TV journalism

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Freelance Hack, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Just watching the WAVE 3 (Louisville) newscast after the Sunday night game.

Here's the gist: A guy wanted for questioning in a fatal arson was arrested in another state. Louisville police did not reveal the location of the arrest. The announcer then says "our affiliate there sent us an arrest report." Yet, the announcer doesn't mention either the affiliate or any information from the arrest report that would give the location.

Here's my problem: Just because the local police won't reveal the location of the arrest, if you come across it (or someone gives you information) in other public records, then you have every right to disclose the location of the arrest.

Am I missing something here? Have I gone soft in the head? I realize it's not a big deal where someone was apprehended as long as they were apprehended, but just because the police won't reveal it, that doesn't mean you can't, right?

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

It's WAVE. WLKY, I think, has always been the best of the Louisville stations.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Redundancy in thread title.

4. Freelance Hack

WLKY does a great job of covering your neck of the woods, KYSW. They're a good news organization, but I think WHAS is the gold standard for local network news around here.

5. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

PCLoadLetter's going to have your ass for that one. ;)

6. Desk_dude

Desk_dude Member

Was he charged?

Most media outlets won't list the name if he/she hasn't been charged. He needs to be arraigned or indicted.

7. Freelance Hack

The name was given. They just said the police wouldn't release the location of his arrest. Then, in the next breath, said they got a copy of the arrest report from their sister station, which they did not identify.

8. Sounds like more an issue of sloppy reporting/editing than a desire to hide the city. What would be the point? To keep from casting aspersions on the populace of said city? If I'm the affiliate reporter/editor/producer, I'm pissed that we didn't get on-air credit for helping on the story.

9. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

The list of TV stations that are bad journalism is far longer than the ones that do good journalism.

Sadly, there isn't a good station in the city in which I live.

My wife no longer lets me watch because she gets tired of me yelling at the TV. She says, "You know that they can't hear you."

Maybe I need to yell louder.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Oggiedoggie and friends, frustrated with the quality of their local TV news operations, have given up on yelling at the screen and have found a new method they hope will finally get news directors' attention.

;D

11. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Not if it's snowing.

Last week, I tuned into TV news at 11 to get more details on the Freep/News story, as I was on vacation. Instead, I got five minutes of "team coverage" of an impending blizzard that might leave 2 inches of snow. Because it never freaking snows in Michigan.

After five minutes, I turned it to the Simpsons.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

it's not the overpermissive parents who are ruining America, it's local news directors

Draft saved Draft deleted