1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bad timing by the Globe

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by bob, May 9, 2008.

1. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I can't fathom why The Globe wouldn't let Edes -- or anybody else, for that matter -- take a buyout if one has been offered, and if that's what the employee has shown they want to do by applying for it. I just don't see the point of keeping anybody -- anybody at all -- around who doesn't want to be there.

That said, it's also a little difficult for me to sympathize too much with Edes. He did, after all, at least have another job lined up. If he wants to take it, he should just quit The Globe, and take it.

Thats what would've happened if he'd been interested in and offered another job when there weren't any buyouts in play. And he'd have been fine with that if he'd really wanted the job.

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I say BS. Either offer buyouts or don't offer buyouts. And if you're not going to pay a buyout on some while buying out others, then it better be because said person is indespensible and gets a nice raise.

3. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

My last paper went through layoffs and cut about 5 newsroom people. One of them actually had a job lined up and was in the process of packing and moving and, for whatever reason, didn't tell her supervisor (she wasn't used to very many American customs). She got laid off, received a small severance and began working the next week at her other job without realizing she pulled a fast one on her former place.

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I have a hard time accusing her of pulling a fast one. Forgive me for feeling no sympathy for a paper that fired people to make the bottom line better.

5. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Did Reid Laymance get a buyout before he left for St. Louis?

6. EE94

EE94 Guest

Offering buyouts is often part of a CBA, the precursor to layoffs. Like i said, it's a way to move out senior employees, but by their choice
    However, management definitely reserves the right to choose who gets buyouts.
    Buyouts are more generous than severances, the biggest carrot tending to be a bridge to full pension.

7. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

It's cheaper for the Globe to not pay that kind of talent, cheaper enough to absorb the marginal loss in readership and damage to the brand, at least in the short term, which is all buyout-thinking is, while management and the bean-counters continue to make their gigantic salaries, play golf the country club and work toward their golden parachute retirements.

(fixed)

8. jimmydangles

jimmydangles Member

Negative, ghostrider.

9. skywriter

skywriter New Member

Laymance got his buyout, and the Globe knew he was going to St. Louis. Another editor there got his buyout even though he was going to ESPN, and the Globe knew it. Edes was the only sports staffer not to get the buyout

10. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Then either Edes has a very good case to make against the Globe or the discretion built into the buyout process was exercised in a most prickian way by the editors there.

11. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

That sounds like a difficult lawsuit to win:

"Judge, they insist on keeping me and paying me one of the biggest salaries in the newsroom! Bastards!"

12. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Wouldn't ever get to court. Either Edes gets them to back down, before he even lawyers up, because of the precedent established by the bosses of giving several other employees with job offers the lovely parting gift that was offered, or the language of the buyout left it completely up to management to approve or deny applications as it chose. At which point he wouldn't likely scare them with a mouthpiece.

Draft saved Draft deleted