1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bad preps correction

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Perry White, Aug 28, 2006.

1. Forgive me...

Why in hell are you running a HS football preview section six months before the season starts?????????

To me, there's your first problem.

2. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Ees bahd to drink Jobu's rum.

Ees very bahd.

3. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Not just athletes.

High school kids in general. I don't think the percentage of athletes dying in car crashes is significantly different from the percentage of athletes to the general student body.

4. cake in the rain

cake in the rain Active Member

It's amazing the amount of hysteria that parents/schools generate about drugs -- mandatory drug testing, school searches, drug dogs, etc.

And while no one in the history of the world has ever died of a marijuana overdose, I'd be willing to bet that your typical suburban high school will lose at least one kid to a car crash this year. And many times it will be more.

5. MonitorLizard

MonitorLizard Member

Time to start testing for car keys. I've never understood all the hysterics about stuff like e. coli in spinach or whatever, when you're far more likely to die going to the store than from anything you buy there.

6. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

And here's your first problem: Attention to detail. Had you followed the link all the way through, you'd notice the correction ran August 24, 2006. So unless they play football in February where you live...

7. Um...it's an Internet discussion board. Why wold I follow the link when it appeared that the entire relevant portion was included in the thread?

8. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

You don't even have to follow the link. All you had to do was read when the post was made -- August 2006.

9. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Is it wrong that I laughed at this?

10. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Only if it's wrong that I laughed at this.

11. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

[blue]What? We're running our prep football previews this week. What's the problem? It prevents the embarrassment of mentioning players who might die during the summer.

12. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Never published a dead guy's name, but back when I was a prep volleyball writer, was preparing for a small-school playoff football game. I made a phone call to the host school to make sure I had space in the pressbox, a phone line to send afterward, etc.

We have a card box in our office, with names of coaches and administrators listed. I asked for the athletic director listed on our card. He, of course, was dead. Akward silence followed. Fun for me.

Draft saved Draft deleted