1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bad preps correction

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Perry White, Aug 28, 2006.

1. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

At least he got back to you.

2. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

This happened to me at my last gig (no, I didn't die in a car crash).

I was brand new and doing the football preview section. We run a photo of two kids, one a junior, and we say something like "Entering his senior year, so-and-so is expected to blah, blah, blah"

I find out later that the kid died in a car crash.

I made it a point to contact the mother and give her a heads up. She started wailing on the phone, making me want to wail. I felt so bad.

Never, ever assume.

3. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Confirming that at least he wasn't dead.

4. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

Here's another one
    http://www.dispatch.com/news-story.php?story=dispatch/2006/12/02/20061202-A4-06.html

via http://www.regrettheerror.com/2006/12/extra_pain_and_.html

5. DrRosenpenis

DrRosenpenis Member

Yo, bartender. Jobu needs a refill!

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Folks, I'm sorry, but there is a reason why you scan obits.

If you have a stud senior athlete in your area who kicked it, and you miss it, you deserve to turn in your sports journalism card. Thanks for coming. Here's the consolation prize: Wedding annivesaries.

7. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

You got a card? Damn it. All I got was a sports journalist thong.

8. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Maybe my paper does it differently than other papers.
    When a high school athlete in my coverage area dies in a car crash, the news reporter handling it will come over to sports asking if the beat writer is there and if he/she knew the kid, and ask for the coach's and AD's number to get comments on the kid.
    If other papers do it this way, there's no excuse for listing a kid as a returning player in a preview if he's dead. You should already know that. If you were off the night he died, someone else should have mentioned it to you or you should have at least noticed the story in the paper.
    Even if the headline read "Four teens die in crash" skim the story to see if one of your players was involved.
    So I agree with Football Bat. You should know if a star athlete in your area has kicked it. In your coverage area how often do teens die in car crashes (or other accidents)? I'm guessing not too often. If one of your athletes dies, make a note of it, so you won't forget come preview time.

9. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

Another one... http://www.regrettheerror.com/2007/04/additional_pain_1.html

Due to a reporting error in Wednesday's editions, the Boston Herald listed Peabody High School's Courtney Corning as one of its players to watch in Division 1 softball this season. Corning, a Greater Boston League all-star in softball, died Jan. 5 from injuries sustained in a car accident. She is being memorialized this season by both the Peabody High softball and baseball teams, which have dedicated their seasons to her memory. The Herald regrets the error.

10. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Wouldn't leave that rum sitting around with this group.

11. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

OK, glad I read all the way through the thread or I would have DPed on Perry's post.

I had meant to post it the other day.

I read the correction at lunch. I teach in the school Courtney attended.

In reference to what EStreetJoe said: I completely agree with you, but in this case, it was the big-city paper 20 miles away. The Herald probably never reported or death, or if it did, it was a small story that probably didn't get to sports. (She wasn't a star, just a solid varsity player who was going to be a captain).

It just seems to me that you don't write a preview without running names past a coach or AD.

12. MonitorLizard

MonitorLizard Member

Maybe someone should do a story on the number of prep athletes killed in car accidents. This thread gets more alarming with each post.

Draft saved Draft deleted