1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bad pop culture references

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Cousin Jeffrey, Jun 11, 2007.

1. John

John Well-Known Member

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

You know, if you build it, they will come.

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

ESPN The Mag. For readers who suffer from ADD.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I blame Canada (whoops!) and SI's Michael Silver. And does Mariotti mean Kobe is Star Jones, Shaq is Rosie, Lebron is Hasselback and Phil Jackson is Babs?

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Like that new group the Beetles says, "I wanna hold your mams."

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I won't call out specifically who did it, but a well-respected paper had a TV columnist lead a story with "They're baaaack."

That's nails on a chalkboard, right there.

7. Dessens71

Dessens71 Member

You know what I think is funny about "They're baaaack," and its ugly cousin, "Be afraid. Be very afraid?" I don't think most people know what movies they're from.

8. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Not to pick on him, but In the ARod Kreigel column that everyone was going ga-ga over (I can't find it now), I remember that there was one that I thought was pretty bad, that many here liked alot - Paris Hilton maybe?

9. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Yes, well, some people here think of Mark as the martyr, and thus cheer his every utterance. No knock on Mark, a good writer and a good guy who certainly didn't lobby to become poster boy for the haters of a certain other columnist, but some of the praise on this site is a bit out of proportion for that reason. That said, find a three-dots person, sports or otherwise, who doesn't make (usually dated) pop culture references; it is the unfortunate nature of the gig. I'm pleased to see Kriegel seems to have stopped his weekly homages to 1970s AM-radio soul music, music I appreciate almost as much as he does, pop culture indeed but a pretty dated one.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The bad (i.e. obvious) pop culture references make me appreciate the work of Kenny Mayne and Olbermann that much more. Anyt ime I hear Olbermann start a sentence, "in the year...", I know something good is coming.

Draft saved Draft deleted