1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bad pop culture references

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Cousin Jeffrey, Jun 11, 2007.

1. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

From Jay Marriotti. Ugh, this is awful:

Seems the Spurs have become the Joy Behar of sports. Everyone fusses and salivates about Rosie dissing Elisabeth and quitting, Star Jones being run off, Meredith fleeing and Barbara playing queen bee, and all the while, Joy wins because she is the constant on ''The View.''

2. Jones

Jones Active Member

I woke up to my hair on fire this morning, and now I know why.

3. Crikey.
    That's awful.
    Mute button, stat.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Just the latest instance of Jay Mariotti and awful being used in the same sentence.

5. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

I take this to mean Mariotti watched The View on a daily basis during his "time off" last year? Only reason on why someone would sound so well versed on a topic only housewives and grandmothers could relate.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Like Pacino circa '74, it was another Dog Day Afternoon at the Michael Vick estate ...

7. Much like a former boss of mine, I have never read a Mariotti column and gone, "wow, that's a really good piece of writing..."

8. FlipSide

FlipSide Member

I wouldn't know Joy Behar if she walked into my living room.
    Why? Because I'm a sportswriter that doesn't watch the damn View.

9. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

The title of this thread is redundant

10. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Someone in my office wrote a lede today about a catcher who has the good fortune of playing with a pair of pitchers with dominating curveballs.

It went: "For Joe Blow, playing catcher for the Podunk Potbellies is mostly sits and giggles."

Ugh...

11. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Indeed. But there are cretinous editors who cream every time a writer works in a pop culture reference, as if to say, "Hey, we're not PBS!" Lame. Wouldn't it be a lot more cool if we were creating pop culture instead of copying the dimmest crap every other medium offers?

12. Jones

Jones Active Member

Honestly, I blame SI. They wedge that shit into every story, I think in an effort feel "current" relative to ESPN: The Magazinette.

It's a goddamn plague, is what it is.

Draft saved Draft deleted