1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bad news for me: Court rules employees can be fired for being irresistible

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Dec 23, 2012.

1. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

Too bad I don't live in the town. I'd organize a boycott of the place. Which I'm sure there already is.

2. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

Doesn't this implicate the institution, at least this particular church, as well as the individual? Shouldn't the pastor(s) have provided some counseling to help preserve the marriage rather than suggesting that a woman who had done nothing wrong lose her job because she was irresistible? Isn't the church itself delivering a black eye to the image of faith in general?

3. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Good luck with the boycott.

A dentist working in rural Iowa is about as recession-proof as a funeral home operator.

4. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

Iowa's courts are pretty interesting. Gay marriage is okay (progressive), but an "attractive" woman has no right to work (extremely, historically regressive)?

I assume and applaud her massive win in the upcoming civil suit. The dentist's wife is her own sad case; if you abide by this kind of scum, you are only continuing to make the bed someone else habitually lies in.

5. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Yeah, she can eat crackers in my bed anytime.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

You seem to very passive-aggressively want to be on the dentist's side on this thread.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I don't see how the wife has any legal standing. But, of course, she can pressure or threaten her husband into anything. If she says "I want you to kill that bitch" that doesn't make her guilty of anything.

My understanding was that any employer can dismiss anyone for any reason or no reason. That's been in the HR packet every place I've ever worked. The employee works at the will of the employer.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Lots of people can't control themselves when it comes to sexually-related matters. If this guy was that weak and figured he couldn't resist the temptation, then the separation is probably better for everyone concerned. Probably saved both parties from an affair, maybe a divorce or heaven knows what else.

9. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

No surprise from exmediahack. It's his usual sexist attitude.

10. champ_kind

champ_kind Well-Known Member

How full of himself is the dentist that he assumes she would have an affair with him if he wanted it?

11. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

Of course you are suggesting Ms. Nelson should be fired despite there being no facts in the record to show that she encouraged sexual behavior on the dentist's part and there being facts in the record that she did her job well. He's the one with the problem but let's not expect him to act like a grownup when there's a woman who can be blamed for being attractive of all things. After all, heaven knows what else could happen.

12. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Where do we find judges like this?

Draft saved Draft deleted