1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bad news for me: Court rules employees can be fired for being irresistible

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Dec 23, 2012.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

"Dr. Knight acknowledges he once told Nelson that if she saw his pants bulging, she would know her clothing was too revealing," the justices wrote.

Six months before Nelson was fired, she and her boss began exchanging text messages about work and personal matters, such as updates about each of their children's activities, the justices wrote.

The messages were mostly mundane, but Nelson recalled one text she received from her boss asking "how often she experienced an orgasm."

All jokes aside, this is about as clear a case of gender discrimination and sexual harassment as you're ever going to find.

2. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I think that would be the sentiment but the employee never complained to the dentist about the texts and the dentist had hired females in the past and hired a female after Nelson.

It's not a gender issue.

In the overall of this, if the dentist would have handled this better at the end (probably four months severance instead of just one), perhaps Nelson doesn't take legal action. Although, I imagine the dentist's wife said "you will sleep on the couch until she is gone".

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Sounds like the dentist's wife is a bitch.

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Should that be legal? I'm just asking.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Should the wife be able to legally force her husband to fire an attractive subordinate?

6. exmediahack

In addition, the firing was not performance based as the dentist said she was a "good" employee. The dentist was in "the right", legally, but handled it horribly.

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I think you took me too seriously.

8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Before deciding on whether she is a 6, I would like her to open up and say "Ahhh."

Eating a popsicle wouldn't hurt either.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

So he can tell her "I find myself getting a bulge in my pants because of you so I'm guilty of lusting after you. Therefore since I am a weak bastard that can't control his tendencies, I'm going to make a hardship for you and yours at Christmas by firing your ass."

Unreal.

10. exmediahack

She never formally complained about that.

I agree the dentist is probably a world-class d-bag but that isn't illegal.

11. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

Yes, well, he only did that after being all spiritual about it and consulting with the senior pastor of his church, who agreed with the decision to terminate Ms. Nelson because of Dr. Knight's inability to keep stop himself from hitting on Ms. Nelson. In fact, Dr. Knight included a pastor in the meeting in which Ms. Nelson was terminated as well as a later meeting with Mr. Nelson in which he told the husband "that he feared he would try to have an affair with her ... if he did not fire her."

The Iowa Supreme Court decision: http://www.iowacourts.gov/Supreme_Court/Recent_Opinions/20121221/11-1857.pdf

12. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

See...I mention this as a having a "form of godliness" but denying its power. If he really had the faith he claimed, he could resist the temptation. Instead, he delivers a black eye to the image of faith in general.

Draft saved Draft deleted