1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bad news for fellow DirecTV customers

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Buck, Jul 11, 2012.

1. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

If DTV didn't have the NFL SundayTicket exclusively, I may have considered switching.

But my wife reminded me that we're still getting the year's worth of $20 per month off our bill that I got along with free SundayTicket last year. And they gave us an extra $10 a month off for the first 6 months when I made that call. And it was probably the fourth time in the last five years that we were able to get SundayTicket for free.

So they've been more than fair to me. I called back and took the $10 a month off for the next 3 months, plus the Showtime channels for free for the next 3 months.

2. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I called for an older relative and got $30 off (at least for the next three months) and free Showtime for six months. The guy I talked to was an absolute tool though. I brought up the Viacom problem and he went into a tirade about MTV. He said he has been telling customers if they want to see "16 and Pregnant" they can go to their local high school. He also went on some weird rant about how great CNN is because it showed his ex-wife's car going off a bridge in Chicago on a live broadcast during some rough weather.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Seriously?

I'd have requested a manager on that.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Surprised he reached an American call center.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

"Dora: The Explorer" was back in action this morning on my TV.

6. KG

KG Active Member

I guess we called just in time. Yesterday they gave us $10 off our bill for three months. They offered some movie channels, too. Mr G. told them not to bother with adding them, because we wouldn't watch them anyway.

7. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Same here. Called yesterday. Got $10 off the next bill and free Showtime for 3 months.
    I already had Encore. I said I heard they were adding that for everybody. Rep said that the offers are different for everybody. Since I had Encore already, they were adding Showtime for me.
    Oh well, $10 is $10 bucks ... worth a 10-minute phone call.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Like y'all, we got in just before it was settled.

I ordered a wifi connection kit for our DirecTV receiver. It arrived Wednesday and wasn't working properly. I called tech support, guy walked me through reseting it. While we waited for it to reboot, I joked that I should have called to complain about Viacom and gotten the $80 kit for free. Tech guy said "Oh, we can do that now" and credited my account $80. Then he threw in six months of HBO and Encore for free too.

9. KG

KG Active Member

FTW!

10. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

My success story isn't quite as lucrative as Inky's, but I'm happy with it. Called the other day to register my displeasure with the blackouts and received $10 off a month for three months. Then I casually mentioned that some other folks apparently received free Encore, which didn't help me because it's already part of my Premier package, and the CSR gave me an extra $15 off for six months. Quite content to pocket that total $120 in discounts.

Draft saved Draft deleted