1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bad news for fellow DirecTV customers

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Buck, Jul 11, 2012.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I don't have kids, either, but I know this won't work.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I think it's cute that you think your bill won't go up either way.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Here's what I will need from my tv in six months: local channels plus Showtime, HBO, HGTV, Bravo, TBS, FX, Lifetime, Style, BBCAmerica, WE, TNT. That covers all 53 things that are on my DVR timers list.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'll downgrade my Tv package. I guarantee my bill's not going up.
    We've got more TV than we need, honestly.

Of course, there is another person in the house with whom I have not discussed this. She might disagree.

5. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

I have directv and didn't notice until I just saw this thread. Looks like I really dont watch any Viacom channels except every once in a while

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Looks like this might last a bit, the Viacom channels have been totally dropped from the lineup. In the past, DirecTV has put up a billboard explaining why the channel was no longer available.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm getting a running explanation of why the channels aren't there. Of course, it is complete bullshit, but they keep promising this will be short

Viacom's demands are DirecTV's problem. Not mine. My problem is I'm paying for a package of channels and they aren't delivering and that my kid is VERY unhappy that she can't watch iCarly, Victorious and a few of the other things on Nick.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Yeah, if you plug the channel number in and go to it, that's what you get. But if you going looking for a Viacom channel on the guide, it's MIA.

Are you willing to pay more per month for those channels when your current contract is up? I'm not. Not one penny more. I don't mind Sunday Ticket going up every year (except this one, when they slashed the price) but I don't want to pay more for channels I don't watch.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I have Dish and we lost AMC a week before Breaking Bad returns.

Losing Comedy Central would be pretty brutal for me. My kids watch a few things on Nick but the bulk of the shows they watch are on Disney and PBS Kids. Other than the new round of Beavis and Butthead, I haven't watched MTV in years.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Good thing the Daily Show is dark this week. Though I do wonder if Viacom has that much leverage - seems like Direct helps them sell ads.

11. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

From what I've gathered from talking to TV people, the technology is there, but it would be a cluster---- to get an actual system up. Way too many cables and buttons, as one guy put it to me, and it would really drive up cost.

I'm sure it will be here within ten years. Seems like more and more cables and buttons are disappearing everyday.

I dumped Time Warner Cable a few years ago, and I haven't missed it at all. My productivity has increased greatly. The only thing I missed was ESPN for some live games, but ESPN 3 has solved that problem.

12. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

It will get settled. Just like it always does when this comes up with the various satellite/cable companies.

After hearing people (me included) complain this weekend when their kids can't get their Nick fix, things will move along.

Draft saved Draft deleted