1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bad headline

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SixToe, Apr 25, 2007.

1. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Here's what you like to see as the lead story when you click a Web site:

Clickable Headline Goes Here In This Space
    Story text goes right here in this two-line space for story text.

2. Taylee

Taylee Member

Better than seeing a box score in a printed version with the words "Can put game summary here"
    between the score and the actual box score.
    That's what greeted me today in one of the papers I read.

3. MilanWall

MilanWall Member

The worst example I've heard of that sort of thing was this guy my publisher knew who once put "and some little motherfucker I can't remember the name of" at the end of a youth baseball team's caption. Needless to say, it printed and he lost his job.

4. Yeeeesh. The things you get in trouble for these days.

All kidding aside, once the "F" word makes an appearance it usually isn't going to end well for somebody.

5. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

I heard about someone putting "some fucker" in place of a name in a cutline once. Funny.
    I accidently had the word shit slip into one of stories once, in the last paragraph off all places. Hard way to find out spellcheck aint catching that.

6. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Does this one strike anyone?

[​IMG]

7. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

In my junior college newspaper, I slipped in "So and So had xx points." Or something like that. Instead of a name, it said "So and So."
    No, So Taguchi wasn't attending.

8. Soccer is fuggin' bull$hit so technically that headline is accurate.

9. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I literally woke up in a sweat this morning. I had a dream that a famous columnist who has never worked at my paper was on staff and I completely butchered his name when I made up his column sig, which is not something I'd be doing, anyway -- called him Lou (Something, I forget the last name). I was completely frantic. Took me a minute or so to realize this was not real.

10. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I hate those dreams/notions. I especially hate when they're right.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

There's a bad headline on ESPN.com's front page right now. It says "Rams boost kick-return game, deal for Chiefs' Hall". This despite the fact that Hall has been average or worse than average in average return per punt/kick for the past two seasons. Both teams averaged almost exactly the same in punt + kick return average last season.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Shit...

What about anything to do with Spike Dykes?

I once wrote for a paper that covered a school that had a mascot that was a Trojan and the word Beaver was in a few of the schools' names and mascots.

Trojans strike deep into Beaver territory. Every freekin time they played I had to reread for double entendre.

Someday I will type the story of a typesetter that left an s off a key quote.

Draft saved Draft deleted