1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bad cough that won't go away

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

Yeah, as an asthmatic (and a fairly severe one, though no where near as severe as my father), I would recommend always having at least one inhaler with you at all times. I generally have at least two. Even minor attacks are freaky and can spiral, particularly if you got set off by something in the environment (rental cars that have been smoked in, pollen in the area that you're not used to, I always had an issue with burning cotton fields once they were harvested). It's like your license or credit card or keys. No leaving home without it.

But just a cough (with no wheezing) usually isn't the hallmark symptom. Sometimes, previous URIs or bronchitis can lead to long-term coughing. Particularly with viral bronchitis, laryngitis, pharyngitis or rhinitis (all which I've had the pleasure of having over and over and over) there's nothing they can do but treat the symptoms, and I would guess you have one of those or its aftermath, which can last several weeks. The virus might be dead but your body is still repairing all the underlying swelling and damage it caused, so you still have symptoms.

If it's at all related to allergies, antihistimines will clear the underlying allergic reaction and decongestants will help clear the symptoms (and may clear the symptoms of it even if it's not allergy-related) and, unfortunately, you get used to it and your body will eventually make it drip down your throat and not your windpipe. It's gross, but what can you do?

Be concerned if you're hacking up dark green or yellow crap. That's my indication I have a bacterial infection. High fevers (101+) are another indication. But if it's clear or slightly whiteish or yellowish, then it's your normal body fluids, just, er, more of them, and there's nothing you can really do but treat the symptoms, sleep propped up so that the crap drains better, use a humidifier to help ease the throat irritation, talk less and clear your throat more.

Edit: Now, if you get long-term fits where you can't catch your breath and you feel light headed, get to a walk-in clinic or an ER where you can be seen immediately. It might just be a virus, but if you can't catch your breath, it's a serious situation. They'll check your pulse ox and may give you Robitussin with coedine (the big daddy of cough suppressants) or something else just to help everything relax in your throat and lungs.

2. Smash Williams

Now that sounds like asthma, at least potentially. There are two parts to it - the underlying swelling that exists all the time (hence steriod inhalers like advair) and the acute swelling of an attack. The ace bandage thing to me sounds like a lung-capacity/swelling issue, and you might talk to your doctor about if you need a spirometry test (which measures your everyday lung capacity against the normal one for a person of your size and age - that can tell them if your passages are overly narrow all the time) or any other evaluation for asthma. Attacks cause the wheezing, but you can have the underlying swelling without the attacks and still be asthmatic, just have very few triggers.

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

The cough is mostly gone, but my throat is really sore and seems like it's inflamed or something.
    I've had acid reflux issues in the past. I hope this isn't serious.

4. Smash Williams

SP - it could just be irritation from the drainage or the cough. Things to watch for are severe pain in swallowing or any white patches (indicative of strep). High fevers are another sign of bacterial infection. Likely, though, it's still just the lingering issues of a virus or some sort of allergy/drainage issue. But other than decongestants/antihistimines if you're draining or congested, doctors aren't going to be able to do much.

Like I said, I've been through a lot of the respiratory infections. And I got freaking strep for the first time since elementary school last year. I forgot how much that particular infection sucks.

5. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

If this is something that just has to run its course and it's going to take a few weeks (I'm on my third week with these symptoms) there comes a point where I just have to get on with my life. I can't miss work for weeks at a time because of a cold. I can't stay away from the gym for weeks at a time because of a cold.
    And I'm getting a little sick of dealing with the asshats who keep saying "stay away from me."

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I almost posted this last week, but didn't feel right doing so, but will post it now:

10 years ago my father had a bad cough that wouldn't go away for months. He finally caved to the nagging from my brother & I about getting to a doctor about it. Turns out it was melanoma that had metastasized to his lungs. He was dead 8 months later.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Try a poultice of mustard, horseradish and sage.

8. AD

AD Active Member

i'm not a cougher. this fall i got nailed by a dry, hack, went on for two weeks before i got it checked out. turned out to be bronchitis. it took a month to clear up, with antibiotics. get a chest x-ray, pronto. you don't want this to evolve into pneumonia. good luck.

Draft saved Draft deleted