1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bad breaks in headlines. Does anyone care anymore?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Clever username, Dec 14, 2006.

1. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

No one where I work seems to and I've noticed a lot of bigger papers don't seem to either? Eliminating bad breaks in headlines was drilled into my head in my editing classes and at the student paper in college. Yet at the places I've worked, people either don't even know what a bad break is or don't really care as long as it fits the space.

Personally, I think they look and read terrible and may take two or three glances to actually understand what they're saying. Thoughts?

2. Bump_Wills

Bump_Wills Member

Aside from a couple of iron-clad rules on this -- I won't break a proper noun over two lines or split a noun phrase (peanut butter) -- I've stopped letting blind adherence to the no-breaks approach keep me from writing an otherwise clear, on-point headline. There is considerable evidence that readers are not at all interrupted by hanging prepositions and the like. Time and energy spent on verbal gymnastics with no tangible benefit are best expended on better all-around editing.

3. pallister

pallister Guest

This may
    be one of
    those very
    dumb threads

Just kidding. Bad breaks bug me, as do multideck heads where any line, but especially the first, is a lot longer than the rest. But like BW said, time and space (especially for 1-column heads) often make bad breaks inevitable.

4. I'm with "Clever." One of the first things I was taught and one of the things the veterans beat on more than anything was danglers. I still don't like seeing it, but as we've changed desk people and years have passed it no longer seems to bother anyone else (along with a lot of other things).

5. pallister

pallister Guest

How about hyphenation breaks in headlines? Anyone like those?

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

7. pallister

pallister Guest

Just
    being
    sarcas-
    tic

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Wiseass. :D

9. devils_claw

devils_claw Member

Split prepositional phrases don't bug me in the least.
    Absolutely no split hyphenated words/phrases, nor proper nouns.

I would definitely rather spend my time making sure the hed was clear and accurate than worrying if I ended a line with "of."

10. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

you may be trying a little sarcasm but that was acceptable at my place before i took the big chair. embarrassed the shit out of me. abbreviations in headlines used to be ok, too. aaarrrggghhh!!!

11. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

The Wall Street Journal National Employment Weekly had this gem of a headline back in 1994. I saw it in National Lampoon's True Facts book but can't find it online to post. I believe it broke like this:

How Great Candidates
    Blow Job Interviews

12. We care... depending on what time of night it is.

Draft saved Draft deleted