1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bad beat

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Chef

Chef Active Member

I know everyone has their bad beat, but I was witness to perhaps the worst I have seen on Saturday.

Cash game.

Guy (seat 1) gets dealt QJ.

Flop comes 9-Q-J (rainbow)

Seat 1 bets $30.00....gets a raise to 60.

1 calls.

Turn---Q

1 bets 60.....raise to 120.

1 calls again.

River---9

1 bets 100......guy goes all in for his last 140.

1 calls instantly......shows his Queens full.

Guy says "nice hand, but not nice enough"

Yep.

Quad 9's

Happened one seat away from me, and I'm damn glad, cause I woulda went bust. No way are you running from Queens full.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

How is playing poker a bad beat? Covering EMU football... that would be a bad beat

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Does that compare with a bad beat by Vanilla Ice?

4. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Vanilla Ice had a good beat. Only problem was that he stole it from Queen's "Under Pressure"

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I don't play poker much, but saw this one once...
    The board came 10-10-K-K-x (might not have been that exact order, but those were the cards). Guy had pocket 10s, but got raised by the guy he knew had pocket kings. First guy couldn't help but call it. Sure enough, both of them had quads.

6. Flash

Flash Guest

I give it a 6.5 out of 10, Dick. I just can't dance to it.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Not really that bad of a beat, actually. The other guy made 9s full of Qs on the turn, the same time Seat 1 makes Qs full of 9s. You think he's going to get out of the hand at that point? No way. It's a tough beat, but that's not a bad beat. It wasn't a donk play or anything.

8. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Take a lesson from the man himself...

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Might not be a donk play, but it's still a bad beat. He rivered the only card that could save him, that's a bad beat. That said, if I have the top full house and I've got a guy raising into me, I'm probably going to push back instead of just calling. Of course, I would have lost a lot more money on that hand because the other guy wasn't going anywhere, but I would have told myself I did all I could.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I had the Suns + the points in Game 3 vs. San Antonio, and some crooked ref screwed me!

11. chazp

chazp Active Member

I laughed on that one. Timely. Well played.

12. Chef

Chef Active Member

Good point.....but if you have Queens full, you don't want the guy to go anywhere.....that's why he was just smooth-calling instead of re-raising.

Catching a one-outer on the river always helps, though.

From then on, we called the guy with quads "catfish"....."living on the river"

Draft saved Draft deleted