1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bad bank people

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pulitzer Wannabe, Dec 11, 2007.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I've been hit with plenty of overdraft charges. You learn your lesson.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

The other thing is that none of these policies are sneaky. They are common to most big banks.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I didn't call you an idiot. I was trying to get a better understanding of how this happened. (My parents, for instance, never balance their checkbooks, then they wonder why a check bounces when their mental math doesn't work out.)

Of course, banks set you up to fail. That's the way they make their money. Many are predatory creatures. You can't trust them. Expect the worst and pray for the best when dealing with them.

Four years ago, I had a messy situation with Sovereign Bank where they basically charged me twice for a significant withdrawal. (Long story.) Yes, I had overdraft protection, but it messed up my balances. And no one I asked at their customer service center could give me a reasonable explanation as to why they needed to process the transaction the way they did.

They lost my business immediately thereafter. I'm now a proud Citizens Bank customer. They may do business as Charter One in your neck of the woods.

4. I'm just frustrated. At this time of the year, especially. When we're really struggling to begin with. And I know there's a certain percentage of people who almost revel in having no sympathy for people. Sorry if I reflexively grouped in you there, momentarily. I just want to make sure that I'm establishing that I feel 100 percent accountable - for one bounced check. Not seven.

5. Magnum

Magnum Member

With all due respect, quit posting on here and go to your local branch before it's too late.

6. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Similar situations have happened to me before. I once bounced a $4 Taco Bell debit that became a $24 bill thanks to the bank. I watch my account like a hawk.

If nothing else, you should change banks to one that has a lower overdraft fee. $35 is way too high. My bank charges $18. Hell, that was one of the reasons I chose them because I knew I'd have overdrafts in my future.

7. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Coming from a guy who once was in the neighborhood of 700 bucks overdrawn for this very reason, I feel your pain.
    I use BOA now, and when something similar (a direct deposit took an extra day to go through because of a holiday) I went to them and pleaded to help me out. They cut me about a $400 break, and while thankful, still realized it was my mistake. It royally pissed me off, but them doing that for me kept me w/ them. I now have three accounts there.
    And I check all of them online at least every other day.

8. John

John Well-Known Member

I don't mean to pile on here, I really don't, but if you're struggling, as you said, why are you spending $100 a month for cable?

9. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Just another person who has been biffed by overdrafts here. And another telling you to go to the bank and ask for removal of some of them in person. It's a lot more difficult to reject someone in person ;)

10. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Exactly. Go talk to an actual person, instead of a voice on the phone.

No one at a call center will be able to help you get rid of the charges. They have to follow the strict letter of the law.

A bank manager might be a little more lenient, seeing you in person and hearing an explanation and there's no previous history.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Because he can't afford to spring for the Playboy channel on top of that?

12. That includes the Internet.

Draft saved Draft deleted