1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bad accident right outside my building

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Feb 28, 2010.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Shortly after I got home from the basketball game that I covered tonight, I heard sirens outside my building, a lot of sirens.
    I live on a main street that goes right through the center of the city. When I looked out the window, I saw a police car blocking off the street, but I didn't see why.
    I went downstairs and outside to see what happened. There were 2 or 3 ambulances. I saw a guy being loaded into one. There was one car, with the front bumper dented and the top right of the windshield broken. The driver was gesturing and making guttural noises. I saw shoes scattered all over the street and an umbrella in the middle of the road.
    Apparently, the driver hit three people who were crossing the street. I didn't stay around long. As I went inside the police were marking off the area with yellow tape. The police car blocking off the street is still out there.
    I have no idea how the people who were hit are doing, but I hope they pull through.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

So someone ELSE had car problems? :D

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Was it a Toyota?

4. Smallpotatoes

As far as I can tell, not a Toyota.
    And it seemed to be more driver problems than car problems.

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Do you know how the people hit are doing?

6. Smallpotatoes

I'm trying to find out. I haven't seen anything on thw news anywhere.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

A few years ago I was home in my apartment and heard a crash outside. Looked out and saw a car stopped alongside an embankment on my side of an intersection. An old woman had apparently died at the wheel on the opposite side and then rolled through the intersection before veering off the road. The accident happened right in front of a fire station and they were there almost immediately, but it was already too late.
    Luckily she wasn't going more than idle speed and no one else was at the intersection. Still, going outside and seeing a freshly deceased person and realizing what had happened was a little unnerving.

8. Smallpotatoes

What I couldn't get over was the driver. All he could do was gesture and make noises. Are those things consistent with shock?

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Usually. I saw one wreck where the person went into shock, and tried fighting the EMTs.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

smallp,

You gonna leave us hanging on the injured pedestrians?

11. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Um ... you are the news, right?

12. Smallpotatoes

I don't work for a paper in that town and I do sports, not news.
    I also find it odd that nothing has been reported on it.

Draft saved Draft deleted