1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Backup baseball beat writers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SnoopyBoy, Jan 23, 2008.

1. SnoopyBoy

SnoopyBoy Member

Reading the thread on the jobs board about Barry Svrluga and it appeared he worked all 162 games. That got me thinking about backup baseball writers and who they are. I know of Goolsby (sp?) is STL, but do most papers have a main guy and a backup? Who are some of the others?

2. VJ

VJ Member

He didn't work all 162, Steve Yanda did a few for the Post I recall.

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

At the two major papers in my area, each has a writer who is backup beat writer for baseball and hockey. They both make a few road trips on each sports, but probably spend most of the year in the area.

4. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

In KC, I'm pretty David Boyce is the backup guy, but only at home. If I recall correctly, he would usually do notes or a sidebar for Royals home games.

5. loveyabye

loveyabye Guest

Sheldon Ocker in Akron is in his 60s but still does all 162.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If someone does all 162, they've got great work ethics and are insane.

I did 148 one year, plus the All-Star game, playoffs and the World Series. I did 140 the next year. Both years, I was so fried it wasn't even funny...

162 is unheard of. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but it is really rare... I know some hockey guys who do every game, but for the most part, football is the only (Big 4) pro sport where beat writers do every game...

7. Damaramu

Damaramu Member

Speaking of back-ups. For those of you that work at a one man shop (like i do) what do you do if you get sick during like state basketball or football what do you do? If you're the only option for sports and are sick as a dog with the flu or something then they're screwed right?

8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Screwed like a sorority pledge at her first kegger.

9. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Tony Jackson of the LA Daily News goes to all 162.

His newspaper doesn't pay him for the overtime. In fact, they assign another writer to cover the Dodgers on Tony's scheduled days off. Tony goes anyway, and the backup writes.

10. -Scoop-

-Scoop- Member

At the Chronicle, Jose de Jesus Ortiz is lead Astros. Brian McTaggert is his backup.

11. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

i'm all for work ethic and rolling up your sleeves and hammering day after day, but this i don't get

i can see once in a while going to the yard on your off day to work on advance stuff or talk to guys, but every day?

if they ain't paying you, take a freaking day for yourself

12. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

Isn't the off season for days off?

Draft saved Draft deleted