1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Backing out

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mark2010, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

OK, so not long ago I applied for and had a couple of interviews for a certain media job. In the course of the interviews and investigation it became apparent to me the job was not a good fit for me for several reasons.

So, what now? How do I tell the company that I genuinely appreciate their interest and the nice things they had to say about my background, but that I really don't want to pursue the position at this time?

I don't want to diss the company or city and hate to burn bridges or insult anyone unnecessarily. But there are just too many red flags about the job that lead me to believe the very real possibility exists that I would move there, hate it and might not last more than a few months, which would be an even bigger mess than backing out now.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I think your best bet is to be up front and professional about it. Call the person you've interviewed with, and let them know you don't think this is the right move for you and that you'd like to take your name out of the running. They might ask for a specific reason or two, so be prepared to tell them that, too. Hell, it might clue them in to some deficiencies in their own operation and it might be appreciated on some level.

As long as you haven't already accepted an offer, and you keep things professional, you ought to be fine. The interview process is a two-way street. You should be checking them out as much as they're checking you out. Sometimes, things don't work out. I'm sure it's not the first time they've had someone reject them, and it won't be the last.

3. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Second what Batman said. Interviews work both ways; you're checking to see if the company is a good fit, too.

4. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

Thirded. (And I've done it before, with no harm done.)

5. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

I've had to do this a few times when interviewing for several positions at once (and ultimately landing one).

You call them. You say "I appreciate your time and consideration, but I need to remove myself from your list of candidates."

They say, "OK, thanks for letting us know." They hang up.

They usually don't care about the whys and the hows. There are many, many very good reasons for backing out -- accepted another offer, family balked at the move, current employer stepped up -- that they really don't care to ask.

6. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I've respectfully withdrawn my name after an offer was made.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

My only advice would be to do it promptly. Don't wait until they're offering you the job if you know well before then that you can't take it. That wastes their time and makes you look bad.

8. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

Fourthded. I did it just this past week regarding a potential promotion at my current job. After weighing everything, I decided it just wasn't the right fit. And, as already has been suggested here, don't wait; do it now.

9. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Yep, call back, be nice and professional. Not the right time, fit, etc.

I remember back when I was starting turning down the first full-time journalism job offer I ever got because I didn't like the fit/location and wanted to explore some part-time work I was doing.

10. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

The advice here is solid. I'm just trying to emphasize what's already been pointed out.

I've done this twice. Call the person whom you've had the most contact with. Be personable. Be nice. Be professional. Tell them you need to be removed from the pool of candidates under consideration and that you really appreciate their interest.

If they ask you why, be honest but do not be excessively critical. Tell them whatever concerns you have and that these concerns make you feel uncomfortable. It might burn a bridge. It might make them respect you. In my case the last time, the managing editor thanked me, said he totally understood and he was keeping my resume on file anyway for the next time the job came open. Sure enough he called. Of course it was too late then. But don't think you can't shed some light on a situation and still gain their respect. Yeah, they might not like it if you tell them something that's rude or unprofessional, so be a professional.

But, again, just call and pull your name from consideration. It's not hard and most employers will not hold it against you.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

If you know its not you, DON'T TAKE THE JOB!!!!! Good luck in your search.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Thanks.

Maybe I should have investigated more thoroughly before applying. Sometimes it's just hard to know. One place I worked looked OK from the outside, but once I had been there a few months it turned out to be a disaster. Don't want to repeat that.

Draft saved Draft deleted