1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Background checks for journalists

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mark2010, Feb 19, 2013.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I'd consider that more a hyperbolic undercurrent. And no, that's not what I'm referring to.

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

No, but I can point out the word "arms" in Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Not sure what that's got to do with the discussion.

Hell, I'm not sure what guns have to do with the discussion.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think they would if, say, you had another fight you got in trouble for when you were 19 or 21 or 25.

5. Dick Whitman

You said that missiles aren't "guns" and, therefore, clearly not covered by the text of the Second Amendment.

And I asked: So?

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Boortz liked to say that he was turning a severe personality disorder into a pretty good living. So there's that.

7. Dick Whitman

I'm just saying that shouting "Second Amendment!," regardless of how loud you shout it, doesn't end any debates over this. Not any more than shouting "First Amendment!" would end a free speech debate. There's another step to take.

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Indeed. The idea that the media, or at least small and medium-sized newspapers, are able to participate in any sort of "vast liberal media conspiracy" is laughable to anyone's who's spent any time at a paper that size. It would require a level of organization far beyond any of their capabilities. It's nothing short of miraculous that newspapers still manage to publish on whatever schedule they purport to keep.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Unfortunately, that's never going to happen, at least not at the newspaper level...

If it costs them more money, they'll never do it.

10. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Rush has a good idea, I'm all for it, provided radio talk hosts undergo the same mental health screening.
    Well, guess I just ended that conversation.

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

My well-researched opinion is that newspapers need some management standards.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

We'd be losing some of the best people in print and broadcast journalism and I'd be surprised if too many in talk radio could ever be declared healthy mentally.

Draft saved Draft deleted