1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Background checks for journalists

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mark2010, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

"I don't know folks, I'm just talking out loud.[/quote]

As opposed to talking to himself?

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Only if they cracked down on you because of the content of your speech, which would not be the case. They'd be cracking down on you because the government regulates the airwaves, which are necessarily limited in capacity.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Is the part about "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State . . ." written in invisible ink?

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Which means there's a precedent for the government regulating a right. Only, instead of a finite resource such as radio airwaves, it's an infinite resource of the number and type of guns. They can say that it's a necessity to limit that resource to own a type of gun for the safety of its citizens.

5. BenPoquette

BenPoquette Active Member

Rush comes up with some pretty stupid stuff.

That being said, I don't understand why Second Amendment advocates aren't telling the truth about why they are against gun control...that an armed society is the best insurance against a tyrannical government. That's why I am pro-gun. Always have been...not just before a black mooslem (TM Starman) got into office.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Which "tyrannical government" are we talking about? Your village? Town? City? County? State? Federal?

How "armed" do you actually want society to be? Every family has a shotgun? Rifle? Handgun? Or is every family entitled to a missile system?

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

HOA.

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Well, they could say that, but it wouldn't be the truth. And that much is obvious from the constant euphemistic undercurrent to the discussions here. "Law-abiding citizens" being the chief euphemism used.

9. BenPoquette

BenPoquette Active Member

Not a specific one. I'm not making any kind of claim about any current government. Jeez, can you chill out for a minute and try to understand what I am trying to say instead of getting all hyper?

I have also said I have no problem with the current proposals restricting "assault-style" weapons. No one should own something like a missile system or anything like that. Jeez, everyone really jumps to conclusions around here.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I just want to be able to aim a couple of scuds (which I picked up cheap when the Soviet Union collapsed) at my next-door neighbor Tom, who listens to Rush Limbaugh much too loudly. If I can demonstrate first-strike capability it will serve as a strong deterrent.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Or maybe you can explain what you mean without resort to an empty rhetorical flourish and ideological cliche like "tyrannical government."

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Hasn't that been argued here before?

Maybe people who are recovering drug addicts showed not have access to the airwaves? In this day and age, Rush's platform makes him a "journalist" for a lot of people.

Draft saved Draft deleted