1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Background checks for journalists

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mark2010, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Radio talk show host Rush Limbaugh suggests journalists are "dangerous" and should be required to pass a background check and mental health screening before being allowed to broadcast or publish.

"I think we ought to do to the first amendment practitioners what they want to do to the second amendment practitioners. We ought to do background checks on these people to see which of them are mentally ill and if they are, deny them access to the public airwaves and the newspapers as so-called news reporters or journalists because they’re dangerous. They are dangerous to the republic."

He added, "I don't know folks, I'm just talking out loud. These are just a great example of the constant and never-ending explosions taking place in my fertile brain."

Makes me wonder if Mr. Limbaugh would successfully pass a mental health check. Sometimes, he strikes me as someone about to come unglued.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/19/rush-limbaugh-background-checks-media-mental-illness_n_2718908.html

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Go right ahead, Flushboy.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

In a just world, this goes on the headstone.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I didn't listen today, but...

Does it occur to anyone that he was trying to make a point regarding the restrictions people want to put on the right of people to exercise their 2nd Amendment rights?

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Oh, yeah. Lame attempt. Journalists aren't killing people.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Would taking painkiller in such quantities that it destroys your hearing be grounds for losing your right to broadcast?

How about being a sex tourist?

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

When journalists are outlawed, only outlaws will have journalists.

8. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

You can have my notepad and pen when you pry them out of my cold, dead hand.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Journalists don't kill people ...

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

What's Bob Menendez got to do with this?

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

No amendment is absolute.

Suppose I decide to start a pirate radio station, and I decide to use the frequency of the station that broadcasts Rush? And my station interferes with Rush's program. The government would crack down on me, right? Even though they would be restricting my First Amendment right to free speech.

12. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Wouldn't this guy have failed every drug test except the Colombian one?

Draft saved Draft deleted