1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Back to the drawing board for Newbury College

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shotglass, Apr 9, 2007.

1. leo1

leo1 Active Member

does anyone else think the newbury coach should've just forfeited at some point. i mean when it got up to, say, 31-1 after three innings, well, maybe you just walk away. i realize these kids are just here to play ball and no one's going pro. i'm not certain i'd forfeit if i was the coach but you have to do a reality check at some point. it's funny to us but not to those kids.

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Well, at least they survived their "We'll Score A Run For Every Fan Or You Win A New Car" promotion. God, what were they thinking?

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

If I'm one of the pitchers I'd probably want to surrender but if I'm a position player I'd want to keep playing. Baseball season's short enough in New England as it is. You only get so many chances to play. I'd want to get in as many innings as possible.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

How this game went seven innings is beyond me.

5. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i can see that logic about the weather. but i played baseball at a division III school in a northern state and we lost many a game by 10 or more runs. they were not fun. it never got this bad so i don't remember ever wanting to quit, but i occasionally thought of the futility of the entire exercise. looking back, baseball is fun and i'd love to be playing, but nothing is fun about being beaten so soundly you have no chance of competing.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I've been out there when your pitcher can't get anybody out and line drives are sailing past both sides of your head. It's an experience in itself, probably one I'm better off for having gone through.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Maybe we played against each other. I played one year at a DIII school up north too. I always wanted to get in as many innings as we could. It's no fun getting drilled but I don't like stopping early either.

8. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Bridgewater left 16 men on base.

That's fucking sloppy baseball.

9. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

MM, that may be the most adorable sig ever. Bet the kitten pitches better than Newbury.

But not as good as Codas.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

The codas are seriously considering a transfer to Newbury. They know they'll get innings.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

But will they get quality innings....

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Good point. The codas are all about quality IPs.

Draft saved Draft deleted