1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Back to the beginning...in the middle of Kansas

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by billikens, Sep 19, 2008.

1. billikens

billikens Member

Six years ago, just out of college, I had no idea what I wanted to do or where I wanted to go. Through a number of random occurrences, I landed a sports writing job in a small town I had never heard of in the middle of Kansas. When I got here, I didn't think I'd last more than six months. I was determined to stay totally career-focused and move onto bigger and better things.

I've long since moved on from the job and the town, and at this point, journalism is more of a fun hobby than a career, but this morning I find myself back in this town, in the middle of Kansas, to get married on Saturday.

Now, after not understanding why anyone would want to live way out here, I can pretty much guarantee myself two or three (or four or five) trips a year. It's like there's no escaping this place.
  2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

let me tell you a little story about dodge city circa 2003...

on second thought, another time.

congrats on the friend's wedding and have fun.
  3. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I think you misread, Xan. I believe our pal is getting married.

Congrats, billikens. Though I have moved far, far away from my home state, I, too, understand the trap that is Kansas.
  4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I hope you're not in Medicine Creek. I hear it's kinda creepy.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

beware first post o' the morn ;)

so, yeah, billiken, mazel tov and an eternity of true passion with the love of your life.

6. billikens

billikens Member

Thanks guys.

The glory of Great Bend, Kansas.

I just got done overhearing an 80-year old man explain why Obama would never be admitted to the Great Bend Sheriff's department. It's because of his association with the Arabs and the terrorists.

So, Barack, if you don't win the election and you decide you don't want to be a senator anymore, don't even try to apply for a Sheriff's position in Great Bend. You won't be accepted.

This place is awesome.
  7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Have a wonderful day, billikens.
Draft saved Draft deleted