1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Back To School...Maybe...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by KevinmH9, Jul 30, 2008.

1. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Well, I "graduated" with my degree in English/Writing in May, but after testing the newspaper market, and having a long talk with my brother, I'm considering going back to school for another year and getting my degree in Professional Communications and completing something I didn't get the chance to do the first time around - an internship.

I've figured that, while I'm young, I have the opportunity to do this and maybe get out of the industry while I have the chance and avoid the nightmare that I read about on a daily basis about the layoffs, etc.

I've researched and noted that I need exactly 10 classes to receive my degree and complete an internship somewhere within the field of media/public relations or sports information in hopes that I can land something comfortably out of college.

All of this, of course, is looking on the optimistic side and that everything goes according to plan.

Figured I'd post here and see what everyone thought.
  2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Active Member

Damn fine idea.
  3. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Do it.
  4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Waddya mean, maybe?

As long as it's feasible financially, stay in school as long as you can, dude ...
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I figure because it's one more year, I'll likely just use my federal loans then take out one of those personal loans through Sally Mae or Astrive or something. Something to talk over with the parents.
  6. I've never known anyone who regretted his or her education and now is certainly the right time to diversify your resume as much as possible.
  7. SportySpice

SportySpice Member

Maybe, schmaybe. Get your tuckus back in class and get as much education/training as you can. If you're already on the fence about getting into this shark pool, you'll kick yourself in a year or two for not going back. Your heart has to be all-in to get into this business these days, and fortunately, it sounds like you aren't. Save yourself now.
  8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Video + computers

Video + computers

Video + computers
  9. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

This idea >>>>>>>>> going back for a Master's in journalism right now.
  10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Does anyone out here other than me think Kevin is probably qualified for PR/Communications degree with his current journalism degree?
  11. dargan

dargan Active Member

12. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I have a B.A. in English/Writing.
Draft saved Draft deleted