1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Back to School alert.........

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef, Sep 10, 2006.

1. Chef

Chef Active Member

Comedy Central.

Right now.

One of Dangerfield's funnier movies.

Quick........what was the name of his famous dive?

2. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I believe it's the Triple Lindy (or Lindsey).

3. Chef

Chef Active Member

you are correct, sir.

4. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

"I'm so sorry. I swear, I didn't see a thing."

(Pulling back the shower curtain)

"You're perfect."

5. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

After Caddyshack, of course, this is easily Rodney's best movie. And role.

(Although "Easy Money" appealed to me, Joe Pesci's trimming of his armpit hair notwithstanding.)

His interaction with Ned Beatty (Squeal!) as the dean, Sally Kellerman (even if the romance angle was a bit of a stretch) and of course the stiff economics dept. chairman is nothing short of brilliant.

Plus, natch, Burt Young.

("I'm worried about Lou. He may lose his trigger finger.")

Good cast, although Keith Gordon was an obvious weak link. Robert Downey Jr. made up for it.

To me, Rodney's the greatest comedian of my generation. Totally self made. Failed, had the balls to come back. He thought selling aluminum siding sucked. Something to which most ink-stained wretches can relate.

Terry Ferrell was very good in this movie, too. (Like she'd have anything to do w/ Keith Gordon.)

If you like Rodney as much as I do, you might wanna rent "Meet Wally Sparks." Sophomoric? Yes. Weak plot? No doubt. Guaranteed to make you laugh?

Do we even have to answer that ...

Of course, it'll be hard to top Rodney, on top of his yacht and spotting Judge Smails on his little sailboat in Caddyshack, bellowing, "Over there, over there! Move over Swanson, I'm drivin' ..."

A great talent who is missed. RIP my man.

6. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

"You scratched my anchor!"

7. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

Don't forget, Comedy Central is showing a tribue to to him tonight at 9 and repeated at 10 pm.

8. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

Diane! Say hello to my nieces!

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

Well, her only apparent alternative was Billy Zabka. :-\

Don't forget his encounter with Professor Turgeson.

10. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Very good points, Double J.

Wow he is on Comedy Central right now ...

RODNEY!!!

11. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Come over here and help me straighten out my Longfellow.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

As far as I'm concerned, this film gave Dangerfield some of the best lines of his entire career.

The more obscure lines are among the best, like when Thornton and Diane pull up after their date and Phillip is standing beside his parked vehicle. Thornton treats him like a valet: "What do you charge for big cars?"

After the sod turning: "I hereby dedicate this building to...myself!"

In Diane's English class: "I like teachers. If you do something wrong, they make you do it over again."

In the bar after saving Derek from a beating: "Hey, the war's over. You can get new parts for your head."

After the brawl: "They're not that tough. The football team at my high school was tough. After they sacked the quarterback, they went after his family."

Thornton recites the Dylan Thomas poem in his oral exam: "Thornton, what does that mean to you?" "It means I don't take shit from no one."

Draft saved Draft deleted