1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Back-to-school advice?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by pallister, Aug 19, 2008.

1. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Loans mostly. That and savings.

The farther you get from your HS graduation, the lower your chances at getting aid are. (Based on my experiences anyway).

2. pallister

pallister Guest

But you just said I wouldn't get much in loans.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Yeah, not sure what he meant there but that's wrong. You shouldn't have a problem getting all you need from loans. Might be paying them off for the next two decades, but you'll be able to pay for school with them. That's not really an issue.

Maybe he means scholarship/grant aid, which is tough to get even under ideal, traditional circumstances.

But student loans are easy to get. Fill out the FAFSA and talk to financial counselors at the school, before you sign up for anything.

4. schiezainc

No, I said you weren't going to get much in aid.

I don't consider loans as aid because you have to pay them back.

5. pallister

pallister Guest

Hell, I got nothin' better to do for the next two decades. :) I've never taken out a loan in my life, I don't have too many debts and I've always been good at saving money, so I'm willing to take the loan hit for a while if it means doing something worthwhile for my future.

EDIT: Got ya, schiez.

6. schiezainc

I think the biggest question is deciding whether to go at it full force or take it a piece at a time. If you take, say two classes a semester, it might be easier financially, but it'll take you forever to get out.

If you take five classes, you might get your bachelor's done in two-three years, but is it at the expense of work and whatnot?

Either way I wish you and everyone like you (and given the state of the industry that number is only going to go up) luck.

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Leave your cabbage patch kid lunch box at home.

Boy, was that a mistake I made.

Draft saved Draft deleted