1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Back from the woods

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Winner!

2. Bump:
    Getting ready to go hunting this year and I'm looking at getting a tent cot.
    Anyone have any experience with them?
    I like the one Cabela's has. Dicks, Gander Mtn both sell the same brand, Tent-Kot.
    Thanks

3. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

We have several of them, a couple different brands. The one I usually use is a Coleman and it's very comfortable.

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

One of my buddies on this most recent trip had a tent cot.
    He calls it the canvas coffin, but he likes it.
    Reasonably priced. And easy to haul.
    He's a big boy, so he spent a little extra to get some room to roll around in.
    They take about one minute to setup and your body weight keeps it down during the night. During the day, unless you got caught in a tornado or something, it will be fine.
    It will also keep you dry during a storm. Unless you just get caught in a mess, but no tent or tent cot will keep you perfectly dry all the time.

I don't know the brand name of his, but I would say that it would be a fine investment.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Bah, forget the cot. Get a ThermaRest, put a good sleeping bag on top and you're good.

(Of course, my hunting camp includes a cabin that sleeps 12 and has DirecTV. But I used to rough it years ago.)

6. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Camping has been part of my life forever -- my mom used to bathe me in the big cooking pot that I still use. When I was a kid I think there were periods when we camped more weekends than not.

It was cheap (a hell of a lot cheaper than it is now), we didn't have much money and it was quality family time. As an adult I still camp as often as I can. When I was single I'd throw my gear and my dog in the car and camp my way down the coast for weeks at a time.

Camping restores me in a way that nothing else can do. Can't imagine my life without it.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Ew. And ew.

8. ArnoldBabar

Someday remind me to explain the concept of boiling water to you. :)

9. imjustagirl

Doesn't matter. Ain't enough boiling water in the world for me to eat ravioli out of a pot that held your junk.

10. ArnoldBabar

Fine. You're not invited.

11. imjustagirl

Please don't boil your baby in the pot, you cannibal!

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

holy shit, I look forward to explaining why I laughed so hard I woke up the neighbours. (Huggy will get that)

Draft saved Draft deleted