1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Back from the woods

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

There's nothing like getting out in the woods. Cabin or tent, either one, is fine by me.

Jay, here's my question ... how far from the cars did you camp? Right next to them? Or did you hike in for a bit?

2. KG

KG Active Member

LOL Like I said, I've had enough showers from a bag of water that has to heat in the sun all day to be cool with this quick trip being at a campground with showers. Plus, it's just a decision we made yesterday as something to do on my days off that week, and the people I'm camping with aren't campers.

At least I'm taking the canoe and going out in it. AND, I'm going hiking so I can play with my new camera.

Also, my friend's son has been having trouble with his Marfan Syndrome, especially with his mitral valve prolapse and collapsed lung. Having a few cozy comforts should help keep him more relaxed.

The heater is still a big IF. LOL No other electronics will be allowed.

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

To answer Inky's question, it was national forest service, so the trucks were close.
    The forest service has the tent pads that are right by the fire ring and close to the parking.
    Now we talked about, setting up in another spot. Near a washed out bridge that would have caused us to bring the gear in. It was maybe half a mile or so, but that got overruled.

As cheap as camping is, I don't know why more people don't do it. You could outfit two people for a little more than a hundred bucks.
    That's all one-time expense of buying a tent, a tarp and a couple of sleeping bags. Go a little fancier with a camp stove, lantern and some other gear and you are still well under two hundred bucks.
    Once you got past gear expense, a weekend trip would food, gas and the camp fee. At the place we went it was $7 a night for hot showers and toilets.
    A bear may poop in the woods, I don't, at least not this past weekend.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Give me a lake, a Jet Ski and beer and I'm good to go.

5. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

that's what my nephew tried to tell me on a previous cqamping trip as we sat under the stars and watched a movie on a portable tv/vcr before hitting the hay on 26-inch tall air mattress in a tent with a homemade air conditioner. i told him he could take his happy ass outside that night if he needed to "camp out." shoot, i've got every "luxury" camping item there is and if i'm still spending the day/night in a tent, it's camping. it really pains me that premature breakdown of my body has prevented any camping since summer 2006 trip to the rocky mountains in colorado. thought about buying a travel trailer or popup but think i'll just go with a cabin when the next urge to "rough it" comes along.

6. Inky_Wretch

With 15 pounds of meat, it's probably best y'all stuck close to the car. Tough to pack a cooler very far ... or to keep critters from being attracted to it.

7. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

You might as well be in a Motel 6 with bugs, noisy neighbors and moonlight showing through curtains that won't close all the way.

The next morning you can have a stale muffin and lukewarm milk, too.

;D

8. KG

KG Active Member

;D You can all kiss my ass. I'm not in the mood at the moment for roughing it. My annual roughing it trip is in the spring.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

How was the gay sex?

10. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Fantastic.

11. Inky_Wretch

Well, when you're dating a virgin, you'll take what you can get.

12. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Hot steamy sleeping bags ... like two rats in a wool sock.

Draft saved Draft deleted