1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Back from D.C.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Stitch, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Me, my wife and our four kids recently got back from a five-day trip to Hershey, Pa., and D.C.

The highlight was the White House tour, but we also checked out three of the Smithsonian museums, and went up to Arlington National Cemetery and Mt. Vernon. We won't be visiting D.C. in August again, though. It was miserable walking out on the mall.

Next time, we'll have to stay closer in town. We stayed over by Dulles and the commute isn't fun.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

We went in the spring and stayed near the zoo. It was great.

But we didn't see the White House or Mount Vernon, so you got us there.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

In my earlier days I lived in the immediate DC area and would spend alot of time downtown. I remember being in my early 20's driving near the Lincoln Memorial on a sunny early fall Sunday morning, Saturday night hook up is what they call it now, and thinking this is a great life and a great city.
    Post Coital Bliss, the best feeling on Earth.

4. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

A good place to stay is in Arlington on the Metro Orange Line. Hotel rates are not bad and you can jump on the subway to go to the sites.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, Dulles is a VERY long hike. Franconia-Springfield Metro has some quality and reasonable hotels nearby, too. This IS a great area. And the weather is great this week, not that it does you much good.

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Wait til this weekend, Moddy. May want to buy a second umbrella.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

The weather here in DC is perfect this week. Then, just as the shit comes rolling through, I'll be in Seattle, where the forecast calls for 78 and sunny all 4 days I'm there. :)

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It was in the 40s last night back home in the Poconos.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Today was a pretty good day to NOT be here, as nice as the weather may be. Got a little shaky.

10. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Stitch is to blame. Just kidding, Stitch :)

11. Was in D.C. two weeks ago. My wife had a conference for work, and the dates coincided with our 20th anniversary, so the kids stayed with my sister and we made it a second honeymoon trip.

It was incredibly hot and humid the entire time we were there, but we had a great time. Got a personal tour of the Pentagon from a friend who works there. When my wife went to her meetings, I grabbed the camera and hit the Metro, walking all around and taking a ton of pictures. Between the Mall area, the monuments, the Smithsonian museums, etc., we could have spent a full week there and still not gotten to see everything.

Considering we're a couple of small-town rural Midwest folk who had never been on a subway in our lives, the Metro was pretty easy to figure out and navigate.

Definitely going to try to get back there someday. Probably going to try to avoid early August next time, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted