1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Back for its monthly posting, it's Fitchburg, Mass.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by covert copy editor, Jul 23, 2006.

1. From Journalismjobs.com:
    Description:
    The Sentinel & Enterprise, an award-winning daily newspaper in North Central Massachusetts, has an immediate opening for a full-time sports writer. The successful candidate will cover local high school and college sporting events, write feature stories and assist on the sports desk. Interested candidates should send resume, cover letter, references and work samples to Chad Garner, Sports Editor, The Sentinel & Enterprise, 808 Main St., Fitchburg, MA 01420.

2. Yeah. I noticed that too. Does anyone know whether they ever filled the last position?

3. StrikeZone

StrikeZone New Member

according to a friend in the news dept., the job never got filled last time around. evidently there's a departure this time and they are desperate to fill.

4. GoPadres

GoPadres Guest

Why are they having trouble filling the job? Is it not a very good paper?

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

It's Fitchburg. Crack den describes the best neighborhood.

6. Smokey33

Smokey33 Member

This paper posted three newsroom openings in the past two weeks. Judging by the sheer number of job postings at a paper this small, their entire staff must turn over about every three months.

7. maybe it's a work co-op program

8. Go, from what I've heard this place is as bad as it can get. I'm friends with someone who worked there as a news reporter a couple of years back and was fired for no apparent reason. The editor brought this guy into his office and said he was being fired because said editor just didn't like him. How about that one?

Plus, has anyone seen the design of this paper. Their idea of a good layup is to fit about 8-10 stories on a page around a postage stamp side centerpiece picture. And forget about graduating headline sizes. That doesn't happen here.

9. StrikeZone

StrikeZone New Member

i've heard the same thing. management here is beyond awful. evidently the turnover occurs because the ME keeps firing all the people he hires.

10. The Duke

The Duke Member

Outside of the publisher, editor and features person, anyone on this staff legal to even drink?

http://www.sentinelandenterprise.com/contactus

11. Oscar Madison

Oscar Madison Member

Their news editor looked so professional, too, wearing that baseball cap.

12. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

I mean, the majority of my newsroom is young, but there are the few aging hippies and guys that time left behind around to veteran the place up.

The city editor looks like when someone mentions the '92 election, he has to say "Well, I was 5 at the time, so ..."

Draft saved Draft deleted