1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Back, and to the left'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The conspiracy theory stuff actually peaked around the early 1990s, when some movie came out ...

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

To me the LBJ-centric conspiracy theories are among the most laughable. To believe that somehow LBJ had a hand in his predecessor's death, you have to believe that the man who pulled off the biggest conspiracy in HISTORY allowed himself to be harried out of office by Eugene McCarthy/Bobby Kennedy a mere five years later.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The board is not a representative sample. Polls taken this very month show the same roughly two-thirds support of the conspiracy theory as there's always been. Remember, we are all current or former members of a profession that's also distrusted by most people.

4. The whole thing was strange. It tends to happen when dealing with whack jobs.
    People tend to forget that Oswald previously tried to kill Gen. Ed Walker.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Good day to read one of my favorite columns.

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/digging-grave-an-honor.htm

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Since JFK is shown on other channels for free about 12 times a year, can't imagine why you'd shell out.

The scene with Donald Sutherland is the best part of the movie.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Why would anyone care what a magician thinks about the Kennedy assassination?

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Dear Trooper: Gavrilo Princip was a member of a large and well-organized conspiracy of Serbian nationalist terrorists with financing from Serbia's secret service. He is the ultimate not-lone gunman in history.

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Yes, but the circumstances under which he actually pulled it off were as quirky as all get-out.

10. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Has that documentary aired that had the same theory as Bill James, that a Secret Service member accidentally shot him? I liked James' crime book even though it was really scattered but I didn't buy that one.

11. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

To me, the conspiracy theories stem from two things:

1. That the CIA and FBI were at their peak of Cold War crazy shit (Operation Northwoods, MKUltra, etc.)

2. That people can't believe someone as important as a U.S. president could be gunned down by some mere schlub (who then gets killed by another schlub a few days later).

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yeah, right wing racists in Dallas were going to kill him.

Instead, a communist killed him.

Yet, some still try to pin the blame on "Dallas".

Draft saved Draft deleted