1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Back, and to the left'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

One day, someone will analyze the tragectory of the digital loogie I have spit upon thee.

Anyway, I've never been one for conspiracies. I think one random nut acted alone. For one, the concept that everything is completely random in our lives and not controlled by a myriad of unseen forces--secret groups, shadow governments, or whatever--is inifinitely more terrifying. Thus, the world is a lot more fun.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

That's philosophy not evidence, Bradley. The sad truth is, the Warren Commission's investigation screwed itself. By starting out with the premise "Oswald did it, now let's prove it" it demolished its chance to in fact prove it to the satisfaction of the citizenry.

3. I know a lot of historians who operate on the same (This is what happened, now prove it) premise.

4. God Damn ... How many of you play the Ground Zero Lounge?

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The History Channel is airing JFK stuff pretty much all day, as you might expect.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Turner Classic ran Primary, the documentary on the 1960 Wisconsin primary between JFK and Humphrey, last night. Very interesting. The size of the entourages of candidates (and Kennedy's sure wasn't determined by lack of money) was so much smaller then than today.

7. I am beat to death with it already.

Rating the 20th Century Presidents .. I'd put Kennedy in the middle

Truman (I'm biased, he's my favorite)
    FDR
    Roosevelt
    LBJ
    Regan
    Taft
    Eisenhower
    Bush
    Kennedy
    McKinley
    Hoover
    Wilson
    Harding
    Clinton
    Carter
    Ford
    Coolidge
    Nixon

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

It was just a few years ago that I realized just how rich Joe Kennedy was. When JFK was at the zenith of his political career (his near-nomination for Vice President, his nomination/election as President), his father was among the 10 or 15 wealthiest people in America. His father's net worth (in today's dollars) was seven to 17 times that of Mitt Romney.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

He was also ambassador to Great Britain, which in those days was a tremendously powerful and influential position.

10. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

There was also a good amount of his blood and brains that went backwards (and to the left as well)--Jackie picking up pieces off the car; a motorcycle cop trailing Kennedy's limo on the left who was splattered.

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Yes, but that wasn't such a good gig for him. He resigned under pressure in 1940, having been labeled a defeatist. If anything, his time as ambassador was a hindrance to his son.

12. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Almost seems though as time passes, there's fewer that believe it was a conspiracy. At least seemed like there was much more support for the conspiracy theory in the 70s and 80s than now. Hell, the government essentially admitted to a conspiracy in the 1978 House Select Committee.

Certainly based on the quite imprecise sample of those who post here, very few think it was anyone but Lee Harvey.

Draft saved Draft deleted