1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Back, and to the left'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Since 1962 to today, every poll on the subject ever taken shows that roughly two-thirds of Americans believe Kennedy's assassination was the result of a conspiracy. So it's silly of Stone to say that idea doesn't get enough attention. People's minds are made up, so they don't need to pay attention.

2. joe king

joe king Active Member

The psychics must have voted in 1962.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The one aspect that gives me pause, and should probably give everybody pause, is Jack Ruby shooting Oswald. That's the kind of shit that happens when you're trying to shut someone up. And he seemed to know what he was doing, since he disposed of him with one well-placed shot like that.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

And make sure you get it on live TV so people can see Oswald get shot and he doesn't just "die" in prison.

The thing is - if something like this happened today, I have no doubt that there would be a lot of "strings" tying whoever did it to whatever group you wanted to torch. He played video games, he listened to Glenn Beck and watched Fox News, he liked the NFL and The Voice, was an NRA/Daily Kos member...

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Sorry for the typo, should've been 1964, of course. Dick, the other highly suspicious piece of evidence is that we've had a lot of other lone nut gunman in our history since then, sadly, and Oswald is the only one to maintain some form of innocence. "I'm a patsy." Those aren't the words of an assassin driven by personal demons, as the Warren Commission alleged.

6. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I spent $1.29 for Parkland on Redbox the other day, mostly as my son wanted to see it as he just read "Kennedy's Last Days".

He liked the movie but I thought it was very weak. It seemed like the JFK version of "Bobby" (2006) but at least Bobby had some A-listers and there were some compelling back stories before the assassination.

I read a review of Parkland and it said the movie realizes it has no power after the killing itself.

As for "JFK", a superb movie - perfect styling, color, pacing. I had the good fortune to watch it in the theatre on Christmas Night for 1991 and it was an unforgettable movie experience.

7. Dick Whitman

He's also quoted as saying, "I didn't shoot anyone."

Now: I think he did it. I think he pulled the trigger. And I think that any so-called conspirators were probably of the fringe group type, and perhaps only conspirators in Oswald's own mind, i.e. he was carrying out the group's work. But, yes, there were some strange things said and done in the 48 hours after the assassination.

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Oh come on, he shot him in the gut. If you wanna shut someone up you blast him in the head. There's no deathbed confession with a head shot.

Re: the Oswald killing. When we first moved here, we took some visitors over to Dallas to go to the Sixth Floor Museum (highly, highly recommended BTW). There were plenty of tourists there, including what appeared to be a middle-aged Japanese tour group. I and the tour group were at the part where Ruby does his thing at the same time. The thing is, over the years we've all seen that thing thousands of times, so we've become a bit hardened to it. But we almost always see the clip ending as they hurriedly rush Oswald away. But the clip they show in the museum, it keeps rolling on, with a TV reporter doing his thing. Reacting to the shooting, he says "Holy Cow!" (or something like it) in this big, excited teevee voice. I couldn't help it, I burst out laughing. The simultaneity of the grisly violence and the g-rated oath struck me as hilarious (I know, I know, weird ... but let's face it, we've all become a bit jaded when it comes to that day). The funny thing was that tour group's reaction ... almost in unison, they slowly but deliberately got (and stayed) the hell away from me.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Frontline had a doc on last night (I am guessing it was originally shown in 1993).

Ruby was in the police station Friday night. You can see pics of him.

On Sunday, he walked from his apartment, stopped at Western Union and sent a $25 moneygram, and then walked into the police station again (the open garage, or a side door). He arrived just four minutes before they were transporting LHO to county jail.

Seems awful haphazard and random to arrive just four minutes before one of the biggest hits of the century.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

IMO Oswald did the shooting, by himself, but he was conditioned toward such a path of action by his previous experiences and associations.

After the fact some of the groups he had been affiliated with moved to mitigate their own vulnerability.

If Oswald had actually been part of a larger pervasive conspiracy he never would have lived to be arrested. Somebody would have smoked him before he left the book depository.

11. Dick Whitman

To be clear: Ruby probably wasn't trying to shut him up to put the lid on some conspiracy. He was, by all accounts, a loudmouth moron. But, like I said, it's the one aspect of things that does kind of make you say, "Hmmmmmm ..."

12. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

For decades, I believed in two shooters.

One in the 6th floor, one behind the grassy knoll. Now I'm clearly in the Oswald was firing from the sixth floor camp. Took a long time to get to this point.

Draft saved Draft deleted