1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Back, and to the left'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Oliver Stone with an op-ed in today's USA Today in which he writes that Kennedy assassination conspiracy theories just don't get the attention they deserve.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2013/11/20/oliver-stone-jfk-conspiracy-assassination-oswald-column/3657321/

Stone writes that it is "common sense" that the President's head and body would have moved forward, not the way it actually does as documented in the Zapruder film, from a shot from the Texas School Book Depository. Of course, medical experts have long since debunked this theory. Kennedy's head did not snap back because of the force of the bullet. His body seized due to nerve damage. I can't believe Stone still trots it out.

He also includes a rundown of some eyewitnesses whose account differs from the official findings. The irony of this is delicious, as Stone is best known for a movie that first captured the chaos of a war zone.

2. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

I thought this was about "Pretty Boy" Keith Hernandez and the Magic Loogie.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Or you know, this one:

[​IMG]

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Eyewitnesses suck. Incredibly unreliable.

I'm all about the mountain of info that the Zapruder film gives us.

5. Dick Whitman

Moreso than "Platoon"?

6. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I just rewatched JFK for about the 50th time and I still love the movie...even though its arguments are insane. But as a movie, damn it's entertaining.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I guessed Beyonce, but then that was just to the left to the left.

8. Dick Whitman

Has anyone else seen "Parkland" yet? I really enjoyed it. Very compelling to see the assassination through the experiences of peripheral players.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

That's debatable, but the irony of Stone saying what he did is, to me, more poignant due to the fact that his film has done more than anything else to perpetuate and draw attention to many of the nutball conspiracy theories surrounding the Kennedy assassination.

To say it another way, it's rich for the director of JFK to say there's not enough attention given to the JFK conspiracy theories, much moreso than the director of Platoon saying that.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I saw it on demand cable the other night and immediately kicked myself for blowing four bucks.

Dull, boring, tells you nothing you shouldn't already know. The responses of all the peripheral players are all utterly scripted and predictable, although we've had 50 years to hear the stories time and time again about how they did react.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's an all-timer for me. Three hours just fly by every time I watch it.

12. Dick Whitman

The ironic part for the director of "Platoon" was the part where he doesn't understand why people don't give more credence to the eyewitnesses.

Draft saved Draft deleted