1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bachelor party costs

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, May 10, 2007.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

My wedding is next week. Most of my friends either work in newspapers and have to work the weekend, or live far away and either couldn't make it or won't be in until the day of or late the day before the wedding.
    So the bachelor party won't be as bad as the guy who went to Sizzler, but likely will be just dinner (possibly at a Sizzler or its southern equivalent) and a baseball game with one friend and maybe my two brothers in law. Haven't figured out yet if this is a good, stress-free thing, or a signal that I have no friends and am a failure at life. Maybe I can post a poll...

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I dunno, knowing some of my friends, I'm not sure I want a bachelor party when I get married. It's all fun and games until your liver gets fed up and claws its way out of your body.

3. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

I had two - count 'em, two - bachelor parties when I tied the knot 5 years ago.
    First one involved eating, drinking, and a party bus that took us to the finest strip clubs in Des Moines.... all was going well until my friends bought me a dance on the "shower stage" at one of the clubs, and the dancer ripped my pair of $20 boxers at the seams and got me sopping wet in the process. After I took a drunken swing at one of the bouncers, we were not-so-kindly asked to leave (thank God Big Earl's let us in down the road).
    Second bach party came at Sandals, an all-inclusive resort in Jamaica, the night before my wife and I were married before 20 friends and family.
    My two best friends/best men and brother-in-law-to-be took turns pouring shots down my throat before we met up with the ladies at the pool bar, where liquor flowed freely (as it did all over Sandals).
    Sure, my luggage arrived the next afternoon at the honeymoon suite with dried puke all over it, and I was so hung over I ate all of one slice of watermelon before my wedding dinner.
    But both bachelor parties were small, as was my wedding. And that's my advice to anyone: don't let it get too big. Do it with your best friends, with simplicity as your guide, and you'll be the happiest.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

ohhhh fuck, ok, ok, ok. i'll admit it. i was laughing so hard at this point, i couldn't even read the rest of the post. i'm still wiping tears away.

5. Matt Foley

Matt Foley Member

Try not to buy more than two eight balls of coke, that should help at least somewhat.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

do you mean a quarter?

7. Matt Foley

Matt Foley Member

Yes, yes I do.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

good enough. carry on.

9. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

I've skimmed through three pages of this thread and all I hear (save for a few great stories) is a ton of bitching. It's very simple: if it's not a close friend and you're broke, don't fucking go. If it's a close friend, suck it up, spend the cash and have a great time with your boy.

I've never seen a bigger bunch of whiners in my life. That said, I can understand people bitching after receiving very short notice.

RANT OVER

My bachelor party is in six weeks in South Beach. Total attendance will not exceed 10. I have yet to hear one person back out because of money problems. And trust me, some of these guys have no business spending the cash for a three day trip to Miami. They're doing what any good friend does, they find a way.

Two hotel rooms on 14th and Ocean for three nights: $350 with reasonable flight prices. It's all about finding good deals and making it work. I'm sure we'll all go out and blow a ton of money one night and maybe spend a less instense night at the hotel bar or something.

Here's hoping everyone attending a bachelor party this summer has a fantastic time. And buys the groom-to-be as many lap dances the sumbitch can handle.

10. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

my buddy's bachelor party (and i'm not in the wedding) is in austin for a couple of nights of music. that flight is across the country for me, and after adding up the hotel, concert tickets, food, extracurriculars, i'm looking at close to a grand. my wife are going on vacation three weeks prior and his wedding is in aspen three weeks after his bachelor party. i need to replace my timing belt. we recently bought a home. my wife has ideas for spending money on the house that makes more sense than blowing a grand. i'm not funding it on credit card. i'm not dipping into savings either. it's not whining. it's simple economics. and i'm no less of a good friend.

11. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Now I remember why it's sometimes okay to be fat, friendless and alone all the time. It saves money except when I buy donuts to take the place of companionship.

12. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Glad you got my point :)

Draft saved Draft deleted