1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bachelor party costs

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, May 10, 2007.

1. GoZags!!

GoZags!! Member

What's the groom think of this? Is he a high-end party kind of guy? Are most of the guests traveling to even be at the bach party/are the co-best men local? That could play into it - they may not think $300/$400 is a lot to spend if they're not having to fork over airfare, hotel, etc.

2. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

I know the Borgata is the "it" place to be in AC, but throw out the idea of the Quarter at the Tropicana. Plenty of restaurants to choose from that might not be as pricey and if cab fare is an issue it's a lot closer than the Borgata.

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Sometimes dudes plan these things with little regard to who is coming and who has a job and family, who has the time ad money to attend, etc. But Inky, you should suck it up, go and chalk it up to a lesson learned and a story to tell every time someone you know plans such an event in the future.

[RANT]

I don't get why a bachelor party has to involve spending a hell of a lot of money. Been to a couple that were just good parties for friends at someone's (really nice) house, been to a couple that were bar crawls. The biggest production was mine, where we rented a cabin in the mountains for a weekend and drank there, played pool, etc. Good time, and safe since no one was driving drunk. Cost 650 bucks rent, got half of that back (deposit).

My brother's dork buddies tried to plan this elaborate Mexico thing, then didn't finalize the plan until about a week before the trip. That goes to what batman said: some peple think these things are supposed to be these massive epics, with debauchery and travel and "Yay!I'm an unhappily married guy who gets to have no fun! When's the party!" idiocy from the dumber married buddies.

Last one I went to was good: dinner at a pub, Red Sox game, then walk the bars for the remainder of the evening, with a side trip to the strip bars at the end. A good time, a safe time (as we all took cabs), and that's all. Why go to Vegas or AC? To gamble? To see Celine Fucking Dion?

4. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Ah, wedding season. I hate it.

The problem with engagement parties, bridal showers, couples showers, bachelor parties, bachelorette parties, rehearsal dinners, weddings, receptions and post-wedding brunches is the sheer quantity. So many couples want to have all this crap, requiring their friends and families to spend, spend, spend at every turn.

"But it's my wedding" they whine, feeling entitled to six bridal showers and parties in Vegas. They forget that if you're of a certain age, you'll be attending four or five weddings a year. That adds up insanely fast.

For a bachelorette party there are only three people I would spend $300 or more on. The rest can have fun without me. I'll catch them at the shower. Or the rehearsal dinner. Or the wedding. Or the reception. Or one of the many other wedding-related functions.

5. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Not afraid of attempting different positions, adventurous, and willing to step outside common frames to complete a task.

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I pretty much agree with everyone else: Be drunk when you get there.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The groom would be happy with three bottles of Boone's Farm Wine and McDonald's as long as he friends are there. He's a TV reporter in Florida. TV salary + Florida's COL = Without his soon-to-be's salary, he'd be eligible for food stamps.

The best men aren't local to NJ, but their wives aren't going on the trip so they're already saving on airfare and splitting a hotel room to save even more.

There have been a flurry of e-mails and phone calls in the past few hours. Even the groom chimed in (because the best men left him on the e-mails). He said he'd rather get the $1500 cash for his honeymoon than spend that much on transportation.

8. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

Just remember to pick up the Boone's at the Circle Liquors (or whatever it is called there in Somers Point) before geting to Ocean City.

Good to hear that some sense is being bandied about with regards to the bus.

9. WSKY

WSKY Member

For $500 we got two sluts from the strip club, one did a dance with the other for about 15 minutes, then bolted. The other, she was stuffing ice cubes inside here for the rest of the night trying to come down from the meth — or cocaine. It was well worth the $$$. I took the pictures and it was a good end to a night out on the town.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Sure doesn't sound worth the money.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

You wanna cut costs?, Tell your buddy to call the marriage off.

12. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

I hope they sprung for the all-you-can-eat salad bar. It was a special occasion.

Draft saved Draft deleted