1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bach: Delayed GN'R Record is Epic (Chinese Democracy)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Deeper_Background, Oct 30, 2006.

1. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Or Meat Loaf.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Every station should play Meatloaf.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Is Steve Vai really on the album? He shredded on Whitesnake's "Slip of the Tongue."

I can't see the Meat Loaf album doing that well. As you point out, he probably won't have the support of the video networks like he did in 1993-94. I also read that while these are Jim Steinman songs, they are songs that Steinman either wrote long ago or never finished. Steinman didn't actually work with Meat on this album.

And it's asking a lot for lightning to strike twice. The success of the second Meat Loaf album was a miracle. You're talking about a retro theatrical song and album topping the charts during an age in which minimalist rock and R&B topped the chart. I imagine it topped the charts by appealing to 20-somethings people who loved Bat Out Of Hell I but heard it years after the fact on classic rock radio.

The environment is even less welcoming to Meat's sound these days and I'm not sure 20-somethings even liked Bat Out of Hell II, never mind want a third one. Though it is quite depressing to realize that almost as much time has passed between II and III (13 years) as did between I and II (16 years). 1977 seemed a long, long time ago back in 1993. :-\

4. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I just remember walking into a bar as cheers broke out for the first few notes of "I'd Do Anything."

But I thought this one was IV, not III. Didn't III come out a couple of years after II, or was that some sort of VHZero-induced delusion?

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

He came out with a few albums in the interim, and everything sounds alike, but this is Bat III. So it sounds like VHZero is warping your brain. :D

6. DyePack

DyePack New Member

OK. Now that I think about it, the one after II was "Back Into Hell" or some such bull.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

No, that was the subtitle to II.

I think the follow-up to II was called "Welcome To The Neighborhood." My wife's got it on tape somewhere around here.

Then he did a whole bunch of greatest hits crap, along with maybe another studio album on an independent label. I was surprised to see Bat III is on a major label.

Good God, I know too much about Meat Loaf. :-\

8. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Wait. So II was Bat Out Of Hell: Back Into Hell?

Only John Milton could make the concept of Hell more confusing.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

10. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Meatloaf talk on a GnR thread is hilarious. It's also appropriate now. Axl with a faux GnR is worthless. Meatloaf going to the well again is shameful.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Who knew that Sebastian Bach was really Jim Rome in a wig??

Epic.

Awesome.

Rack him.

:eek: :eek:

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Anyone remember when Steinman's bust of an album, Bad For Good, was originally supposed to be Bat Out Of Hell II? But Meat blow his voice out touring behind Bat Out Of Hell and couldn't sing the songs so Steinman did them.

Draft saved Draft deleted