1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baby, you can drive my car ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by I Should Coco, Sep 11, 2014.

1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

My son turns 16 next year, too, and if he drives, it will be my 1995 Camry. Cheaper to add him on the insurance for that car than my wife's 2005 Camry (sorry, we're Toyota people).

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It sounds to me like you could have gotten between $1,000 and $2,000 more value out of your car by selling it on your own, and that instead you let the dealer make "only" $1,000.

I am not sure why you are laughing at them for "only" making that much.

3. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Because I don't have the time to deal with it. How is that hard to comprehend. It may have sat in my driveway all year without selling...how does that help me?

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I can see you're a very busy man.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

2002 Ford Escape - been everywhere between Prince Rupert BC to Glacier National Park to Nebraska to Death Valley. Hell of a car. I hate the look of the new Escapes. I like boxy. More room for my stuff.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Nissan Leaf

7. joe

joe Active Member

We have a 2005 Cadillac DTS with 143k; a 1998 Mustang Cobra with 102k (although the odometer crapped out sometime last year, so add another 5k to that; and a 1998 Subaru Impreza wagon with 140k or so.

Bought the Caddy last year from my inlaws for $5,500.

I bought the Cobra in 2000 for about $23,000 when I was single and making bank at my union shop paper. It had about 16k on it, and it has been driven from Champaign to Vancouver WA, from San Berdoo to Columbia MO, from Columbia to Jacksonville FL twice and from Jacksonville to Missoula MT (that was a long-ass trip). I've spent probably $8,000 in maintaining it and tires and such, maybe more.

The wife bought the Subaru when she worked in Sedona. The thing's a tank, but the AC sucks and the blower is stuck on high. Plus, it smells. Still a good winter in the snow car, though.

And no car payments, which is sweet.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It wouldn't be. :D

Meanwhile . . .

1990 Lexus 400. Odometer says 214,416 --- but it has said that since 2007.

2000 Honda Civic. 166K miles

9. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

We have a 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan with about 70,000 miles on it. (We bought it new; there were 2 miles on the odometer when I drove it off the lot the day before Thanksgiving 2010.) It's my wife's daily driver and the only car we use when we're together or with the kids. I have a 2003 (I think that's the year) Volvo S40. Decent car, but the AC is probably about to go out, it needs a headliner and the stereo doesn't work. But I only take it to the office and back, so it'll do, since it's paid for.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

2011 Mercedes C300, my first non-Mustang. Had to trade in the muscle car to accommodate my now 2-year-old son. My wife still apologizes because she thinks she made me get rid of the Mustang for a more family-oriented car. I don't tell her how much I love the Mercedes. :)

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

No vehicle ages worse than a Dodge Caravan. It's the chain smoking, rose tattoo on her breast, 47-year-old Waffle House waitress of vehicles. I don't know that I've ever seen one older than about four years old that doesn't look like an absolute shitpile.

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I drive a 2005 Chevy Silverado. She'll turn 120K next week, most likely. Gets really shitty gas mileage and is starting to give me some issues, so we'll be getting one a couple years down the road, I guess.

Wife drives a 13 VW Passat with the TDI. Averages 36 MPG in town and close to 50 on flat highway. I sold my Harley recently (insert sad face) and dumped all the money into her car, so it'll be paid off early next year. We absolutely love it.

Draft saved Draft deleted