1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baby, you can drive my car ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by I Should Coco, Sep 11, 2014.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

My train station car is a 2000 Buick Park Ave that my father-in-law turned over to me after his stroke. Only about 70,000 miles. Comfy leather interior. Cassette deck. Hood ornament is kind of cool.

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

2007 Infiniti G35 with over 100k; still drives like a top. Got rear-ended earlier this year and was praying it would not be totaled but fixed because did not want to think about sinking more $$ into a car; luckily got repaired and looks brand new (got rear-ended in 2012 in a '06 model and they paid so I bought this one hoping no major repairs.)

Put an iPod direct link in 2 years ago so can stream from iPhone and charge at same time which makes it enjoyable but these new cars that have immediate bluetooth connection for streaming from the iPhone are sweet.

Wifey drives an '04 Sienna; love it, drives great and only 70k on it.

Buddy in the industry told me 30 yrs ago, why finance a depreciating asset? So since getting married we have done our damn best to avoid monthly $$.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

If you'd just pay your house off already, you and BTExpress can be besties!

4. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

2004 Dodge Neon with about 150K miles on it. Doesn't give me a lot of problems, though in the opinion of a couple of places I've taken it to it needs about $1K in preventative maintenance (replace entire timing belt mechanism and lower control arms).

Been paid off for about five years, and I'm pretty committed to never financing another vehicle. So while this one is no-frills, I'm gonna run it until it dies or I have the cash built up to buy something better.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Just traded in a 2007 PreRunner 4-door with 46K miles straight-up for a 2012 Camry with 17K. Had been driving a truck since 1992 and just got tired of it. My gas mileage just increased by 67 percent. Third Camry we've owned.

6. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Just upgraded from a 06 Mercury Milan with 122K on it to a brand new Honda CRV.
    Wife's idea to get a new care now that Spike Jr. is near 2 and we needed more room for travel and ease of getting him in and out of the carseat.
    She got the dealer to up the trade-in value from $2,000 to $3,300. I see they are trying to sell it for $7K online now! LOL Good luck guys. That thing is worth $5K...tops.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

Not really.

But when were were in France last month, I was close to making Ms. Ragu's uncle an offer on his (which isn't in as good shape and has dreaded rust on the floor that will be a killer to fix). Her dad has a place for me to store it until until I can figure out how to get it across, if I do it. His Deux Cheveaux is more than 25 years old, so no restrictions on bringing it here and registering it. I am still thinking about it.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

My wife's car is a 2001 Chevy Cavalier with only about 92,000 miles on it. In the 9 1/2 years we've been together, I think she's put about 40,000 miles on it.

My 2007 Mazda 3, meanwhile, has 208,000 miles on it. Still going strong, though. I've had to get a few things fixed -- thermostat, air conditioning twice, alternator, about four windshields and in need of another -- but am still on my original set of brakes. Hands down, the best car I've ever owned.
    It's also been paid off for more than a year, which means I'm going to drive it until the engine blows up. We had a hail storm roll through last year that messed up a lot of people's cars all over town. Fortunately, I was at home so all I got was some minor dents. Still enough to pocket $2,400 in insurance money, which was exactly enough to pay off the last six months of the note and fix the broken air conditioner. We also got a new roof on the house from that storm, which we'd probably have needed in the next few years anyway.
    Best hail storm ever!

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Not if I get the Tesla!

We have a big anniversary coming up, so it would be for that, but I don't know if my wife's appreciation would be enough for me to overcome the scolding I'll get from BTE.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It looks like they are going to beat you by at least $1,500 on that deal.

You nailed 'em!

11. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

You do realize dealer prices are never as good as selling from person to person, right?
    KBB shows the difference. They aren't going to make much off my car.
    It's listed at 7 grand, probably will eventually drop to $4,750, and if you include the fact that they have to detail it, put 4 new tires, brakes and other small things...they will be lucky to make a grand off the sale.
    So yeah...I'm fine "nailing" them.

12. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

2002 Toyota Echo coupe. 165,000 miles, bought in '05 with 60,000 on it. It has needed new tires twice, new brakes once, oil changes, one A/C recharge and about $400 in miscellaneous other stuff. 5-speed, crank your own windows, lock your own doors by hand, AM/FM/Cassette/CD and the aforementioned A/C. I call it the City Goat (all my vehicles get names). It has never let me down and the gas mileage is between 38-40 mpg.

Draft saved Draft deleted