1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baby, you can drive my car ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by I Should Coco, Sep 11, 2014.

1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Had the radiator replaced in my trusty 1995 Toyota Camry yesterday, and it got me thinking: What cars are in the parking lot at SportsJournalists.com?

I know at our shop, we've got a fine array of 1990s to mid-2000s automobiles in the newsroom parking area on-street parking spaces around our building.

I'm tooling around in my 1995 Camry with about 175K miles on it. AM/FM cassette player, faulty air conditioning, but an engine that keeps on chuggin'.

And you?

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

2012 Mazda 3. About 20K miles on it.

Zoom-Zoom, bitches!

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

My 2002 Mitsubishi Galant just passed 210,000 miles. It looks awful but it still runs great.

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

1998 Subaru Forester, 215K miles. Power train fine. Lots of little things wrong, the biggest of which is that the speedometer works intermittently and has, no lie, a tendency to get stuck at 88 mph. Weird.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

BTW, a relevant stat: The latest research shows the average car on the road in the U.S. today is 11.4 years old, which I believe is an all-time high (though that is projected to rise over the next couple of years). Again, that's the AVERAGE, not any kind of upper range.

So my old car is just about average.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Was it built by this guy?

[​IMG]

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

My car has 42,000 miles on it, but it's an American piece of shit, so I'm expecting it to die any day now.

8. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I had a 2000 Ford Explorer that I bought new. In 2013, at about 200k, it developed a compression problem in one of the cylinders and ran pretty rough so i had to get rid of it. (Coincidentally, same thing happened to my '88 Chevy Blazer, same mileage, same compression issue. Had both vehicles for about 13 years). Last year I bought a Ford Explorer Sport with the 6 cyl. eco-boost, twin-turbo engine. Love it.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Heard a lot of good things about the eco-boost.

10. Until two years ago I had '99 Ranger with about 110K on it. Now I have an F-150.
    The wife has 2002 Explorer with 112K miles. Shows some age, but still runs well.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I have my 2000 Nissan Frontier that as about 112k on it. I bought it in 2001 with about 10k on it.

We also have a 2012 Honda Civic that we bought new. I'm not the one who drives it regularly so I don't know the mileage off the top of my head. I'd guess around 20k.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

1998 Toyota Camry with 170K or so, 2002 Sienna minivan with 135K. Love the Camry, not crazy about the Sienna. (We've had problems with everything but the engine -- electrical, brakes, door handles and latches breaking, etc.)

Especially love the payments -- we haven't had one in 10 years. My oldest son will be 16 in a little over a year and the Camry will be perfect for first car. Taking a long look at the new Tesla Model X SUV for us then.

Draft saved Draft deleted