1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baby with HIV cured

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

By accident:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/04/health/for-first-time-baby-cured-of-hiv-doctors-say.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

So now two people have been cured, in absolute terms. And I'd imagine plenty of people are cured, functionally, via antiretroviral drugs.

One thing that surprised me in the story was that only 200 babies a year in the U.S. are born HIV-positive. I thought it would have been much more than that. Are pregnant women automatically tested?

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Only gay men get AIDS. They don't have babies.

3. Dick Whitman

You jest, but heterosexuals rarely get AIDS. At least in the United States. (Not sure why it spreads more easily in Africa, seemingly. I'm sure there's an explanation out there.)

But: Drug-addicted prostitutes do. And you'd figure more than 200 of them per year would have babies.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Not if they have sold their ovaries for heroin.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

A cure for HIV seems like it would remove the consequences of bad choices and set society on the path to hedonistic ruin. I'm against it.

6. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Yep, those babies in Africa simply made the horrible choice of being fucking born. Get a clue.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

It's called sarcasm...

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Not as many condoms.

9. Dick Whitman

That's part of it, I'm sure. But I don't know that it gets us all the way there. It's simply difficult to spread, via vaginal sex. Not impossible, obviously. But difficult. Are sub-saharan Africans so wildly promiscuous that they buck the odds? Are they engaging in a high frequency of heterosexual anal sex?

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Nancy Reagan says "Just say no!" Yeah, that worked pretty well.

11. Dick Whitman

Story says that's just semantics when it comes to babies, though.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Yeah, just look at the 70s.

Draft saved Draft deleted